110 lb Bruce Anchor

Louise o Bengt Mårtensson <tintoamel@...>

Long ago You wrote about fitting an 110 lb Bruce anchor.
How did it fit? Did it work well for You.
best regards
Bengt Mårtensson
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, closereach <no_reply@y...>
wrote:

2-Dodger windows: When taking significant spray and going into
the
sun you are almost blind. Has anyone used anything on these
windows
to improve visibility such as rainX? Also, the helmsman window
leaked is this normal and is there a way to seal it better.
RT: We found on our trip traveling down the ICW that when motoring
into a 15 kt or higher breeze the wave chop does put a good amount
of
spray on the dodger window and makes it very hard to peer forward.
too would like to know of some 'magic' way to improve visibility.
Offshore I can see that this is not a big problem but traveling
inside a channel makes it difficult. My solution was to crack the
window open the smallest amount to peek through while getting the
least amount of spray coming past the opening.

3-Anchors: So far the standard anchor has worked well I also have
40lb danford. What other anchors are being carried out there.
RT: We found our 60 lb. CQR worked great everywhere but one place--
Southport, NC. We anchored in the 'old' basin where all the fishing
vessels are located. Very very soft mud. CQR dragged throught like
butter. I deployed my 35 lb. stainless steel Northill anchor with
success. I have purchased a 110 lb. Bruce and will put that on the
bow as the primary anchor.
.

Zanareva

Bengt,

Sorry, I haven't proceeded with fitting the big Bruce up there on
the bow--so nothing to report.
I stopped short of this because of the success of the Spade anchors
in tests conducted in the various press, including Pratical Sailor.
And the recent issue of Yachting Monthly conducted a test of
anchors, with poor reviews for the Bruce and Bruce clones.
If anyone has a suggestion on where to find the best price on a 30kg
galvanized Spade, that'd be great.

Richard Tate
SM "Spice"

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Louise o Bengt Mårtensson