Engine - Propeler problem

Dimitris <dkra@...>

I have sent in the past an e-mail about the engine not increasing
the revolutions rpm after sailing. I have monitored the problem and
I am quite sure now that the problem was due to barnacle growth on
the propeller and not an engine problem. The time necessary to
increase the rpm has been decreased after use of the engine. It
seems that the blades came to the forward position more easily.

I saw also recently that the engine was not able to increase the
revolutions over 2500 rpm and by diving and cleaning the propeller
the engine was able to increase to 3000 so this has been explained.

Now I have a new problem. I found out during last week-end that the
oil in the main engine drive has become white. I understand that
this means that sea water has entered the system. I was surprised as
I had not a problem with a rope as I have also a rope cutter in the
propeller shaft and I have checked one week end ago by diving that
everything was ok. How urgent it is to haul out the boat and change
the oil? I do not see a big increase of the liquid height in the jar
in the engine room.

I need your experience on that. I have to replace the brass ring and
the o-rings?

Regards

Dimitris
SM-Alma Libre

asm283 <no_reply@...>

Hello Dimitris

What has happened is that your wearing bearing has worn out and has
allowed water to enter the U drive system. This is an item that
needs to be replaced every 800 hours and is not a difficult job for
a skilled person. The wearing bearing is right were the prop shaft
enters the gear housing. It is a brass ring with 3 rubber inserts.
Make sure that the inserts are oriented correctly. You should have
this repaired as soon as you can, as seawater is mixing with your U-
drive gears. Have the u-drive system flushed before adding the new
oil.

I hope this helps.

Vito Ciaravino

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Dimitris" <dkra@p...> wrote:

[...]

rossirossix4 <equinoxsolstice@...>

It is possible that vibration from the propeller problem has
prematurely deformed the seal permanently to allow water in or (less
likely) that it allowed water in only when it was in the unbalanced
state.

There are several very good postings on replacing
the prop seal. They include, but are not limited to message 1156,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/message/1156
Message 1160 and message 1003
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amelyachtowners/message/1003

Bob,