From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 2:42 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow Thruster Prop Replacement

I've lost my bow thruster prop. Does anyone have experience in
removing the bow thruster foot or replacing the prop without taking
the boat out of the water? I see that amel sells a kit for doing
this. Is it worth getting (vs paying for a haul). I read a comment
somewhere that it was hard to do. I'm trying to decide if I should
haul it (I just put it in) or wait for the special device from Amel.

Also, can someone give me detailed instructions on replacing the
prop? Seems like removing the screws, if they have sheared off, could
be a problem.

Thanks.

Bob

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

rossirossix4 <equinoxsolstice@...>

Thanks everyone, for your advice and ideas on bow-thruster
replacement without short hauling the boat--I did replace it in the
water.

Everyone's advice was valid, but I thought I would share my
experience and ideas.

I was able to drive the old pin out, using a correctly sized
Craftsman punch with small taps from a hammer and grabing the end
with a Vice-Grip and twist/pulling it out the other end. Believe it
or not, I was able to do this hanging off my dingy with my son
holding the dingy into the boat. However, a better way, and one I
had to resort to to attach the prop--was simply floating next to the
bowthruster while wearing a PFD and reaching down with both hands to
work on it. I started out with a snorkle and mask but found (perhaps
due to the opacity of Chesapeake Bay water) that floating with the
head above water was easier.

First I hauled the thruster up about 2" to make it more accessable
under water--you only need access to the hub and this helps a little.
Next, I lightly sanded the inside edge of the prop that pushes onto
the collar and lubed the inside of this area of the prop with
Lanocoat. This helped it slide on easier and allowed me to rotate
it on the hub to line-up the six holes. I tied a keeper line around
one blade of the prop. Because it tapers out larger, this secures
the pricey little guy! I also had used a small nylon string to do
the same thing with the white collar by going through one of the
threaded holes. Working with both hands, I think that the best way
to push the prop on is to grab around the thruster with the fingers
of both hands and push the prop on simultaneously with both thumbs.
Lining up the six holes in the prop with the white collar was the
toughest task for me. I found that I had to back the prop off the
hub about half way and line up the holes with the punch and then ush
it on completly. Otherwise the prop and drive rotate together and I
could not line up the holes. Because the punch was smaller than the
holes I had to work it around in a circular motion to line up one of
the holes correctly. A better guide, like a plastic pen body might
be better. Lining up the holes was by far the most difficult task--
if you are in clear water, a snorkle and mask might let you do it
visually, but not in the Chesapeake! I had my son stand above me on
the deck and lower parts down with a bucket (including the nylon
screws--one at a time.

It wasn't too bad, but I will be buying the special tool. It sounds
like it is very useful if there are any complications, and of-course
could allow you to replace a seal or chack/change the 90wt oil.
Joel told me by phone that he has the process down to about 30
minutes.

Bob
Santorin Hull#86 Brittany de la Mer

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@o...> wrote:
Using the amel tool it takes about an hour and a half.

My problem with changing the prop under water was that the
stainless pin had
twisted into the holder and had to be cut out of the plastic- when
I removed
the thruster to the deck it was a very simple job.

Fair winds,

Eric

Sm 376 Kimberlite.

_____

I've lost my bow thruster prop. Does anyone have experience in
removing the bow thruster foot or replacing the prop without
taking
the boat out of the water? I see that amel sells a kit for doing
this. Is it worth getting (vs paying for a haul). I read a
comment
somewhere that it was hard to do. I'm trying to decide if I
should
haul it (I just put it in) or wait for the special device from
Amel.

Also, can someone give me detailed instructions on replacing the
prop? Seems like removing the screws, if they have sheared off,
could
be a problem.

Thanks.

Bob

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

subject=Unsubscribe>

svmalaika@...

Mark (and Others),

The AMEL supplied tool is very easy to use. Here is how I have done it six
times, twice on our boat and four times on other AMELs we've met.

1) Secure the bow thrust shaft by placing the hose clamp around the shaft
about 5 cm (2 inches) below where the shaft connects to the motor.

2) Remove the collar (if fitted) around the base of the motor and remove the
four screws that secure the shaft to the motor base. This will free the shaft
to slide down until it is held by the hose clamp (important) fitted in 1 above.

3) Insert the AMEL tool into the shaft and secure it with the two screws
provided Make sure the screws are set in the two holes in the tool.

4) Wrap plastic electrical tape around the space between the tool and the
shaft to prevent salt water from entering the shaft.

5. Secure the end of the line on the AMEL tool, loosen the hose clamp and
slowly lower the bow thruster assembly into the water.

6) Using a boat hook on deck snag the line and bring the bow thruster prop
assembly on board.

7) Replace the prop as previously described (if you need details let me know).

8) While the unit is on deck it is a good idea to drain the oil by inverting
the unit (after removing the tape and tool) and replacing it with SEA 90W gear
oil.

9) Refit the tool, tape and lower it into the water.

10) Haul it up from inside, check orientation and reset the hose clamp (so
you don't lose the unit)

11) Now the only hard part. Fit the shaft into the base of the motor so the
spline fits and the unit can b secured by the four secures. Replace the collar
and test.

Good luck,
Charlie
S/V MALAIKA II
Barcelona, SPAIN

Mark Pitt

I have the bow thruster replacement tool but have not had
the occasion to use it. If I did needto use it, I am not sure that
I know how to. The English translation of the instructions that
came with it are very difficult to follow. I would greatly appreciate
it if someone could supply a more clearly worded set of instructions,

Mark
SM #419 Sabbatical III

eric wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

Mark,

It is also good to mark the amel tool at its aft end so when you bring the
thruster back into the boat you will be able to align it.

Fair winds,

Eric

SM 376

_____

[...]

Eric,

I agree orientation is important. I always fit the tool so the hole where the
line is secured is visible.

Charlie

eric freedman

Charlie,

I just used a big black magic marker and marked the aft end with a line.

Fair winds,

Eric

Sm 376

_____