Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] choice Maramu vs Santorin

David Wallace

We have owned a 1982 Maramu for 5 years, and sailed her 5500 nm to Mexico and back, but just spent 10 days sailing between Denmark and Sweden with friends on their 1992 Santorin so have some comparative experience. Fundamentally, the Santorin is about 6000 pounds lighter than the Maramu but the same beam and waterline, so sails at almost 1 kt faster for given wind/sea conditions. Additionally, the Santorin has several convenience factors that our Maramu does not (although some newer ones do) -- in-mast furling, bow-thruster, steps on the stern. Amel also made other improvements with the Santorin, such as moving the fuel tank to the centerline instead of outboard of the passage to the aft cabin, and configuring the drive train with a saildrive unit rather than a shaft. The only real plus to us for the Maramu over the Santorin is the cockpit configuration -- in the Santorin one comes up the companionway to a flat cockpit floor, while the Maramu has the forward part of the floor lowered: the effect of that is that for the Maramu you can stand at the helm completely under the hard dodger, but with the Santorin the dodger is too low to do that. We also prefer the interior layout of the Maramu, but that might just be because we're so used to ours. We love our boat and have no regrets with her, but if I were starting over and the economic factors worked out, would probably choose the Santorin.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them.

Dave
s/v Air Ops

Reply-To: amelyachtowners@...
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] choice Maramu vs Santorin
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:03:40 -0000

I hesitate between the purchase of a Santorin or a Maramu
thank you to give me "plus" and "minus" according to your experience

Only one thing is sure : i will be the owner of an Amel boat !!

Thank you

"famille-pannethier@tiscali.fr <famille-pannethier@...>

---------- Initial Header -----------

To : amelyachtowners@...
Cc :
Date : Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:03:40 -0000
Subject : [Amel Yacht Owners] choice Maramu vs Santorin

I was the owner of a Maramu 1978 for 4 years and was sailing before with a santorin sloop version. I have decided to change my Maramu but having taken into consideration, Inner space, lockers, rear aft drawing, cokpit... I would definitively stick on a Maramu which at least would be anyway less expensive in a ketch version.
Regarding the performances I Would say that they are equivalent and definitively prefer a Ketch version.

Finally I went for a SM ( Amel Recommandation) Which offers (if you compare with a well equiped Santorin Ketch) Much more for a " slight increase in price"

Best regards
Jacques
SM #109# SAKA

********** L'ADSL A 20 EUR/MOIS**********
Tiscali propose l'ADSL le moins cher du marché : 20 EUR/mois et le modem ADSL offert !
Pour profiter de cette offre exceptionnelle, cliquez ici : http://register.tiscali.fr/adsl/
Offre soumise à conditions.