Topics

onan genset

caramel02uk <pjn.mccallin@...>

can anyone assist please, after only 450 hours use, the gen set is
becoming difficult to start. On pressing the start button there are
lots of clicks from the various relays and the fuel pump but nothing
happens, no cranking,nada. Repeat the process and it will start up
after say four or five presses of the button. Have checked all battery
leads starter connections am now stumped and wonder if a similar
problem has been encountered. Thanks in advance Patrick CARAMELLE.

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "caramel02uk"
<pjn.mccallin@j...> wrote:

can anyone assist please, after only 450 hours use, the gen set is
becoming difficult to start. On pressing the start button there are
lots of clicks from the various relays and the fuel pump but nothing
happens, no cranking,nada. Repeat the process and it will start up
after say four or five presses of the button. Have checked all
battery
leads starter connections am now stumped and wonder if a similar
problem has been encountered. Thanks in advance Patrick CARAMELLE.
I had trouble starting and found that one of the push on connections
was loose giving intermittent starting. So far as I remember it was
one of the leads in the area of the fuel pump. The symptom was that
the fuel cut off soleniod was not being energised and therefore the
red painted rod was not moving when the starter button was
pushed.Perhaps if you pull on each lead in turn you might find a loose
one.

Good luck, John,Bali Hai SM319

Ken & Nancy Burnap <notrevie2000@...>

<pjn.mccallin@j...> wrote:

can anyone assist please, after only 450 hours use, the gen set is
becoming difficult to start. On pressing the start button there
are
lots of clicks from the various relays and the fuel pump but
nothing
happens, no cranking,nada. Repeat the process and it will start up
after say four or five presses of the button. Have checked all
battery
leads starter connections am now stumped and wonder if a similar
problem has been encountered. Thanks in advance Patrick CARAMELLE.
Amel has taken the prevention on galvanic action one step beyond any
other boat mfg. They not only have an interrupt solenoid in the
positive circuit for the motor but they also have one on the
negative circuit. When the start button is pushed both of these
solenoids must engage at the same time for the motor to start. The
cause of your problem is almost assuredly because the negative
solenoid is sticking. The good news is, it's easy to get to and
short stop around. It is in plain sight on the port side of the
engine, a cylinder shape about 1.25" dia. X 6" long, with a rubber
push button on either the top or the bottom depending on how it was
mounted. It has been mounted in various positions in an attempt to
lessen this probability of it's sticking. The next time this
happens, have one person hold down the rubber push button on the
solenoid while a second person pushes the start button. That's it.
You obviously could short across the terminals as a permanent fix
but I would not recommend this, I think the second interrupt is a
good idea when it works. I found that the sticking problem occurred
when the engine was fairly hot after an extended run and not given
enough idle time to cool down before shutting it off..

Hope this helps.

Ken Burnap
s/v Notre Vie

caramel02uk <pjn.mccallin@...>

dear ken
thanks for the advice, I do not have the type of solonoid you have
described but there is one fitted just below the starter on the
negative side, so I guess this is the problem. I now have an
occasional problem in stopping the yanmar 100 hp; not alwase but
occasionaly when I press the stop button nothing happens. Just above
the fuel pump there is a solinoid/relay again on the neg side , do
you think it is the same problem - sticking. The yacht was laid up
for almost 17 months although the batteries were perminantly hooked
up to shore power the engine and genset were mothballed.Thanks
Patrick
--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Ken & Nancy Burnap"