Insulating our Amel for cool/cold weather sailing

Zanareva

We're planning on cruising over to Ireland, the UK and Scandinavia
next year. I have a couple of questions for those out cruising the
higher latitudes.

1. What have other members done to insulate their boats to prevent or
minimize condensation while living aboard?

2. Our Amel doesn't have any forced air or natural draft heating
system. How have you heated your boat 24x7, specifically when passage-
making and living on the hook?

Thanks
Richard Tate
SM#5 "Spice"

Graham Boyd

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "closereach" <closereach@y...>
wrote:

We're planning on cruising over to Ireland, the UK and Scandinavia
next year. I have a couple of questions for those out cruising the
higher latitudes.

1. What have other members done to insulate their boats to prevent or
minimize condensation while living aboard?

2. Our Amel doesn't have any forced air or natural draft heating
system. How have you heated your boat 24x7, specifically when passage-
making and living on the hook?

Thanks
Richard Tate
SM#5 "Spice"
I keep my SM on the West coast of Scotland. This is the first boat that
we have had that has not had an eberspacher heater fitted. We just run
the generator and the fan heaters whenever we want some heat and to dry
out the cabin. This works much better than expected mainly due to the
fact that the onan is very quiet and am quite glad that I did not go to
the expense of fitting a blown air system. If you do down that route
get Amel to send you the installation photos. What is of greater
importance is getting the rear screen to the spray hood fitted to make
a cosy wheel house! This has become known as the "conservatory" on
board and gets considerable use. Have a great trip the SM is a great
boat for the western Scottish waters,

Graham Boyd
SM140 "Sula"

Zanareva

Eric, Graham and Ian,

Thanks for your prompt responses. Great to hear that condensation is not the problem that I had thought it would be!

We're located on the east coast of central Florida (Satellite Beach).

Best regards,

Richard Tate

SM#5 Spice

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

Hi Richard,

We spent two summers in Maine and Nova Scotia, in cold water, and
got some mildew from condensation under the aft cabin bunk, over the
settee refrigerator, and in a few other places. We also got
condensation anyplace the cold hull is exposed to the interior of the
boat, for example the floor of hanging lockers. Two suggestions:
1) Buy some HyperVent material and place it under all bunks and under
the cushion over the fridge (www.hyperventmarine.com) This stuff is
great at preventing mildew from condensation. You can also line the
bottom of lockers that are in contact with cold water with HyperVent.
2) If you do get mildew on the "carpeting" material under the
cushions, for example under the aft cabin bunk, spray some bleach and
water(50-50)mixture on it, brush it in well, and let it sit for 30
minutes, then rinse it off and dry well. We have found that this
removes all mildew without damaging the carpeting.

Enjoy!

Roy on Excalibur SM #195

Zanareva

Roy,

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the hypervent material.

Richard

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, rbenven44 <no_reply@y...>