Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SHARKI

Roger Banks <roger.banks@...>

Hi

I think the French correspondent may be asking for Sharki owners to
give him details of how the boat performs into the wind.

Regards, Roger, Mango 20, Zorba

On 05/01/2006, at 11:13 PM, sy_windfall wrote:

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "bbdpaulin" <bbdpaulin@y...>
wrote:

Bonjour!

Je vais peut-être acheter un SHARKI (LIMBO II) qui est ancré au
Yacht
Club de Tahiti (Polynésie Française).
Je connais la réputation de la construction AMEL et du confort.
Mais il y a aussi une mauvaise idée quand aux performances en
navigation, surtout au près...
Les propriétaires de SHARKI peuvent-ils m'en dire plus sur les
capacités à remonter au vent de ce bateau?

Par avance, merci de vos réponses.
I'll give a rough translation for those who don't speak French...
Hi,

I am considering to buy a Sharki (Limbo II), achored at Yacht club de
Tahit. I know about the reputation of the construction and the comfort
of AMEL, but also a lesser reputation on performance and navigation
(sic). Could owners of a Sharki please tell me more about the things
to refurbish after the purchase of this boat.
Thanks in advance...

Eddy May (just lurking and Dutch citizen ;-)

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel
Boating sailing

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Regards, Roger
Message from Roger Banks

PAULIN Bruno <bbdpaulin@...>

yes it's exactly what i desired.

Roger Banks <roger.banks@mac.com> wrote: Hi

wrote:

[...]

---------------------------------

Steve Leeds

Dear Bruno,
I own Sharki #121 built in 1985, the first year the boat was built with all roller furling sails (the system is much heavier than later models). I believe the mast is also shorter than later models. My wife and I have sailed this boat around the world.

After some years experience with this boat and a new flat mainsail, I would say it's windward ability is good. It cannot sail to windward like a racer (but is much more comfortable), but can point closer to the wind than many popular cruising boats. We have been very happy with the boat, which we still own and enjoy.

I understand that earlier models with conventional mainsails will point better than ours.

The only significant maintenance issue with boats of this vintage is the failure of the adhesive holding up the headliner in the heat of the tropics. It is likely that any Sharki would have had this repaired by now (some better than others!)

I hope this information is helpful.

Good Luck,

Steve Leeds
Yacht MACCABEE
Sharki 121
Circumnavigator's Yacht Service
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

wrote:

[...]

Yahoo! Photos

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel Boating sailing

---------------------------------

PAULIN Bruno <bbdpaulin@...>

Thanks for your response

I have the opportunity to test the SHARKI this week-end.
I hope the wind'll be there!!

I've already spleep one night on board.
The inside space is interresting and change comparing my little Bristol 26'
But my interrest is to sail in French Polynesia, and you certainly know that we have Windward and Leeward islands... and windward ability is important for me!!
So, perhaps I'll buy this boat #32 this week-end after my test.
her name is "LIMBO II"

best Regards

Bruno PAULIN