From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rbenven44
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 7:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Painting deck stripes - pictures

Hi,
Following the advice posted here by Harmonie a couple of years ago,
we painted the deck stripes on Excalibur last November. Excalibur is 8
years old, and in need of deck attention (we probably scrub the decks
too much!!)
I have posted some pictures on this web site for those who want to
see what it looks like, (before and after). We are very pleased with
the results. We used the Embee striper, as recommended, and one-part
polyurethane paint (50% brown, 50% black). It took 6 days at 3 hours
per day for the decks, and 2 days for the cockpit. After letting the
paint dry for a few days, we coated all the surfaces with Polytrol, a
French product recommended by Mr. Selo at Amel. The decks look like
new. The picture of the re-painted forward deck areas show before-and-
after of applying Polytrol.
Any questions on how to do this, please contact me.

Regards, Roy on Excalibur SM#195

Yahoo! Groups Links

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

Hi Eric,
We bought the Polytrol at Acastillages Diffusion (AD), a shipchandler
in Hyeres, France. They have a web site. I don't know if the
product is available in US, but probably in Caribbean (St. Martin or
Martinique).
Roy

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@o...> wrote:

Roy,
Where did you get polytrol?
Fair Winds,
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

[...]

john martin <symoondog@...>

Eric and others, The American equivalent of polytrol is Penetrol, it can be bought in any big paint store,not home depot or Lowes.It is used to thin paint, but if you read the label it will tell you it restores fiberglass. It really works great on the faux teak decks and the whole job can be done in an hour. It doesn't work as well on the smooth fiberglass. For a really old Amel with decks beyond repair their is a product called marine deck 2000. Look it up on google. Its an absolutley fabulous material made of cork of all things. It looks exactly like teak decking and can be used inside or out. I just put a cork floor in my kitchen and I really like it. Once your deck is looking like new, buy a pint of 100% grain alcohol and an ear syringe . Next time you land a big fish on deck squirt a couple of onces into his gills and he will die in seconds.```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````John SM 248 Moondog````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

From: eric <kimberlite@optonline.net>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:05:30 -0500

Roy,
[...]

michael grunstein <mgrunstein2002@...>

Hi Roy,

I am impressed with your painting job!
Did you use masking tape? and what do you mean by
"one-part Polyurethane"?
I am definitely going to do the same as the fading
paint is an eyesore.

Thanks, Michael Grunstein (#345)

http://mail.yahoo.com

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, michael grunstein
<mgrunstein2002@...> wrote:

Hi Roy,

I am impressed with your painting job!
Did you use masking tape? and what do you mean by
"one-part Polyurethane"?
I am definitely going to do the same as the fading
paint is an eyesore.

Thanks, Michael Grunstein (#345)

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the compliment. The best description of the process
was posted by Ann Harsh of Harmonie on Sept 6 2003, under subject:
Deck Grooves. Do a search on this site to find that posting.
We used the Embee Striper, a small brass wheel (roller) with a 1
oz. glass paint bottle attached. We used the 3/16 in. width brass
wheel, which required just two passes on the grooves to fill them
with paint. No masking tape is needed -- the groove is sufficiently
depressed from the deck to keep the brass wheel and the paint
contained. Use the edge of the groove to guide the roller. Do a
Google search on "Embee paint striper" and you will find suppliers --
typically art supply stores. We bought the kit with 8 different
brass wheels, but only used one. You will also need a small brush
for the corners and other hard-to reach places like under cleats.
The paint we used was Pettit EasyPoxy One-part Polyurethane
Enamel. Interlux sells a similar paint: Brightside One-part
polyurethane enamel. One-part means you don't have to mix two
components and hope they don't "set" before you finish painting. As
the painting takes time, this type of paint just makes it harder.
You'll have a hard time finding a brown color to match Amel's
original gelcoat color. Use black -- it looks great! Get a quart of
the proper paint thinner, as you'll need it to clean up spots where
the paint goes over the edge of the groove. Use a clean cloth and a
fingernail. Finally, get a 10-oz.(or so) plastic squeeze bottle with
a small spout to refill the 1-oz. glass bottle -- nothing else works.
Thanks again to Ann Harsh who showed us the way.

Roy on Excalibur SM#195

eric freedman

John,
Nice speaking to you yesterday.
Were you able to find the name of the sail maker in Ft Lauderdale that made
your 110?

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:
Eric:

Peter Grimm's Company is Super Sailmakers, of Ft. Lauderdale. He is who Joel
recommended to me. He has built lots of 110% Jibs for Amel SMs. His phone is 954
522-4663.

They call the 110% a "Carribean Blaster". It is 502 square feet, of 9.5 oz low aspect
Dacron and has a foam luff with a UV boarder. You need 135 ft of sheet. Peter
recommended 1/2 inch line for the sheets and I have found that 1/2 inch is a little too
small for our jib sheet winches. I have to put at least 5 turns on to prevent slippage.

I purchased the sail last year and the price was $ 2,684 USD with Joel's referral discount. I
had a chance to use it for the first time last month in the BVI. What a great sail. I find I
can point about 5 to 8 degrees higher (about 45 degrees), have speeds that match the
Gateff 155% and it seems to be more foregiving of poor trimming. I am very impressed.
Of course I was sailing in 15-25 knots of wind the whole time but I could sail completely
un-furled where I would have had the 155% furled up during most of that last trip.

Sorry to butt into your thread but I am so impressed with this sail that I couldn't resist.

Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona Hull # 335> John,