Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Digest Number 776

Eric & John,

I am intrigued by this 6 volt option. I have 12 house batteries.

. I assume that you would divide these into 4 parallel wired sets of 3
batteries with an output of 6 volts per set.

. Then I assume that you would wire 2 of these sets of 3 in series
producing 12 volts and do the same with the other 2 sets of three.

. Lastly I assume that you wire the 2 12 volt pairs in series to produce
24 volts.

I guess another option would be 3 sets of 4 wired in a series and then
connect the 3 series-wired sets parallel to produce 24 volts?

I assume that either method will require almost all new wiring? Any input
will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Rouse
S/V Security
SM2 #387

dlm48@...

cunfused i am

you will need FOUR 6V batteries wired in series to produce 24V

if you have EIGHT 6V batteries then you have two sets of 4 series wired batteries wired in parallel to double the AH capacity

the only new wiring would be the series wiring as in the above example six short piecies of wire

and so on

regards

David

I am intrigued by this 6 volt option. I have 12 house batteries.

. I assume that you would divide these into 4 parallel wired sets of 3
batteries with an output of 6 volts per set.

. Then I assume that you would wire 2 of these sets of 3 in series
producing 12 volts and do the same with the other 2 sets of three.

. Lastly I assume that you wire the 2 12 volt pairs in series to produce
24 volts.

I guess another option would be 3 sets of 4 wired in a series and then
connect the 3 series-wired sets parallel to produce 24 volts?

I assume that either method will require almost all new wiring? Any input
will be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill Rouse
S/V Security
SM2 #387

Yahoo! Groups Links

Eric Lindholm

Bill you connect the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of another battery, and those two batteries equal one 12 volt battery. You will have one positive terminal( which I will call A terminal), and one negative terminal(which I will call B terminal) which are not connected to anything, and these are your new 12 volt positive and negative terminals. Make up four sets like this. Connect the 4 positive A terminals to each other, and the 4 negative B terminals to each other just like you do your 12 volt batteries, and then run this to your battery switch. Use the largest battery cable you can find for all connections, this is very important. These batteries have a lot of power, and undersized cable will not let you utilize all that is available. Eric

dlm48@aol.com wrote: cunfused i am

[...]

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel Boating sailing

---------------------------------

dlm48@...

ah ha but - Bill has a 24 V system on his SM2000 which is why i posted what i posted

regards

David

[...]

David, I guess I missed the 24 volt question. I just wanted to clarify the manner in which the batteries are connected. I have seen owners try to connect all of the negative terminals together, or the supply positive and negative to terminals used to wire the batteries in series with varying results, ie melted cables, sparks, or simply a connection to a 6 volt supply. Love this site. Eric

dlm48@aol.com wrote: ah ha but - Bill has a 24 V system on his SM2000 which is why i posted
what i posted

regards

David

[...]

Service.

---------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Sailing Sailing yacht Amel Boating sailing

---------------------------------

dlm48@...

i wonder if this will work

-- [6V] ---------- [6V] ----------- [6V] ----------- [6V] ----- 24V 110AH
+ *** - === + *** - === + *** - === + *** -
|| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .||
|| [6V] ---------- [6V] ----------- [6V] ----------- [6V] ----- 24V 110AH
+ *** - === + *** - === + *** - === + *** -
|| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .||
|| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .||
|| . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .||
To Positive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . To Negative
24V buss bar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24V buss bar --- 24V 220AH

also assuming the 6V bats have a terminal at each end you can orientate the bats + - then - + then + - then - + so that your serial interconnect cables are very very short
regards

David

[...]

etlindholm@sbcglobal.net writes:

David, I agree with your wiring diagram as set forth in the first part of
your email, but I question if I understand your last comment about orienting
the batteries + - then -+ then + - then - +. You end up with two + terminals
and I don't know what voltage. The batteries have to be aligned as in the first
part of your email + - then+ - then+ - then+ -, and you will end up with one
bank of 24 volts, with a + and - terminal to connect to the next bank ++ and
-- to power the boat. 2 banks of 24 volts, and most 6 volt batteries are 220
ah, so one 24 bank should also be 24 volt 220 ah, with the two combined at
440 ah. Eric

OK TRY THIS

just double or triple that arrangement and connect each 24V bank to the
appropriate buss

i thought T105's were 110 AH my mistook i should have checked but if they
are 220 AH then you have double the capacity :-)

regards

David

dlm48@...

In a message dated 16/03/2006 16:57:19 GMT Standard Time, dlm48@aol.com
writes:

OK TRY THIS

just double or triple that arrangement and connect each 24V bank to the
appropriate buss

i thought T105's were 110 AH my mistook i should have checked but if they
are 220 AH then you have double the capacity :-)

regards

David

damn blast curses yahoo removed my drawing of the battery layout from that
mail i sent

anyone want one mail me direct

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

regards

David

Eric Lindholm

David, I agree with your wiring diagram as set forth in the first part of your email, but I question if I understand your last comment about orienting the batteries + - then -+ then + - then - +. You end up with two + terminals and I don't know what voltage. The batteries have to be aligned as in the first part of your email + - then+ - then+ - then+ -, and you will end up with one bank of 24 volts, with a + and - terminal to connect to the next bank ++ and -- to power the boat. 2 banks of 24 volts, and most 6 volt batteries are 220 ah, so one 24 bank should also be 24 volt 220 ah, with the two combined at 440 ah. Eric

dlm48@aol.com wrote: i wonder if this will work

110AH
110AH