Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Water maker power draw

Ian Shepherd <ocean53@...>

Gary,

I fitted an AC current meter by drilling two holes in the left hand side of
the grey plastic 220V box just to the right of the cupboard above the sink.
The holes matched the two threaded studs the poke out of the back of the
meter. I then bolted the appropriate leads in the AC system supply to the
studs and presto, one very useful bit of kit which is viewable whenever the
cupboard door is open. Total cost about $10. It measures AC load from both
shore power and the genset.

I have a 160 Ltr/hour water maker too, and the total AC current draw is 17
amps at full output.

I note your further investigations to the sality probe function. When I get
Crusader back in the water in abou 4 weeks time, I will do the same test
that you did. What did you use to bung the hole that the probe screws into?

Regards

Ian SM 414 Crusader

#331 `DoodleBug'

Yahoo! Groups Links

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Ian
On my last trip I installed a Blue Sea System Part Number: 8247 Digital Multimeter
with alarm. It has a digital display for Amps, Voltage, Frequency, and Power (watts).
You can see this at their web site. Just google up Blue Sea Systems.

I wired it to the 220 VAC feed to the 220 Volt Breaker Panel so that it
shows all parameters for the power either from the gen set or shore power before
any breakers are set, and also load (either amps or watts) for any given circuit or
combination of circuits. It was a very simple installation. It uses a power
transformer around one of the feed wires to sense amperage and calculate
power. It is great. I only used it for a day or two before coming home and
so on my next trip (3 wks) I will compile a load chart for all 220 VAC circuits.
I'll post that when I finish it.

I did verify that the gen set is putting out exactly its design spec voltage,
frequency, and rated power even at full power load.

I am not sure what you mean by "bung ". The EC sensor has US 1/2 inch pipe
thread. I wrapped it with Teflon plumbers tape and screwed it into the
1/2 inch threaded PVC pipe T.

Sincerely,
Gary

#331 `DoodleBug'