[Amel Yacht Owners] watermaker,TDS meter

Ian Shepherd <ocean53@...>

Hi John,

Is your TDS meter made by HM Digital? Mine is, and no matter where I put it
in the blue output line, all I get is an 'Err' message when the water maker
is producing water. It does give a reading when the flow is stopped, i.e.
Just after shutdown, and it works fine in a cup of water. It seems not able
to cope with a decent flow rate. I have tried just after the membrane output
and just after the control panel with the same result. I have waited 5-10
minutes as per Gary's suggestion, but get the same result.

I would appreciate any advice. Like you, I have never used chemicals on my
membranes. Only the occasional back flush with self made water when not in
use for a while.

Cheers

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader

From: John and Anne on Bali Hai
Date: 06/08/06 09:17:08
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

[...]

Hi Gary & John.

I have now found out why my inline TDS meter continuously gives an 'Error'
reading. It is not to do with the orientation of the probe at all. The
problem is that the water maker output is so polluted that meter is out of
range. It was a guest on board today that refused a glass of water that
aroused my suspicions. I guess I had got used to the taste, but she
convinced me that something was wrong. I thought it may have been a dirty 50
micron filter, but changing it did nothing to the taste. Another test with a
Hanna confirmed a seriously polluted output (860 with an 'E' in the top
right hand corner.

So yet another case of being fooled by the green light, which as we now know
means nothing.

I have disassembled the 160 l/h membranes which have 185 hours use. (For
Eric- if you have not yet removed your membranes, I can confirm that it is
best to remove the whole cradle first, then unscrew the rods. The only nasty
part of the job is reaching the self tapping screws that hold the blower
ducting together. You may need to do this to get to the two outboard roof
bolts, depending on your installation. My 110/220V transformer gets in the
way of the side screw).

Gary, I am concerned that the sea water side of the membranes is only
isolated from the centre output tube by a single 0-ring on the membrane
nipple. Do you really think this seal is sufficient to reliably withstand a
60 Bar or 870 PSI sideways pressure? ( have the nylon end caps). The caps
don't seem to be a very tight fit on the nipple seal, so this may be the
root of my problem rather than the membranes themselves.

I will get some new seals and jury rig the assembly for a trial. I use
silicon grease on seals. Do you think that the seal may do a better job with
sealant perhaps, at the expense of more difficulty in getting it apart
again? If so, can you recommend any particular type or brand of sealant for
this application?

I was interested to read about your flying exploits. Not so long ago Steve
Jones who was a UK aerobatic champ took me up in his Sukoi. After 19,500
hours of commercial flying, it was the most hair raising experience of my
life! I take my hat off to you for being able to stay ahead of the aircraft
whilst the world is a 270 degree per second roll rate blur and the G-meter
is swinging from +7 to -5! Currently I fly hang gliders, paragliders and
sailplanes.