Water Maker Green Light

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Ian:

The green light on the water maker Does do something. It illuminates
when the diverter solenoid valve switches from sending the product water
overboard to sending the water to your tank. This occurs at 55 seconds
after system start (per the on board oscillator timer and totally unrelated
to anything else). IF ANY AMEL OWNER HAS A SYSTEM THAT DOESN'T
CHANGE TO GREEN AT EXACTLY THE 55 SECOND MARK (+/- a second o
two) PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO THAT WE CAN DETERMINE HOW IT IS
CONNECTED THAT ALLOWS IT TOWORK.

So if the green "Good Quality" LED light illuminates you can rest assured
the water (either salty or fresh) is going to your tank. The green light and
diverter solenoid valve are controlled by the exact same logic circuits and
neither circuit is connected to the salinity sensor circuit (if you can call it
that, since the salinity sensor isn't connected at all and therefore really
isn't a circuit). I have asked myself, "Why have all this circuitry and the
expense of the solenoid valve and plumbing if it isn't going to do anything?"
This is what I don't understand.

I spent an hour on the phone with Rod Boreham, the UK rep for Dessalator
last week. He doesn't know who made the decision to hook the system
up with the salinity sensor out of the circuit. He notes that Dessalator
provides water makers to Beneteau and that they all seem to function as
advertised. If the decision on the Amel model was made on the premise
that it would improve reliability then the ultimate reliability would have
been achieved by eliminating the logic circuits, relay, LED, diverter
solenoid and its associated plumbing and installing a small tap so that
the water could be more easily tasted. To have all that electronic
overhead and then not connect the salinity sensor seems to me to actually
increase the risk that the system will fail. A couple of thoughts have
crossed my mind as to what has happened: 1) could it be that the board
was designed and produced and then found to not work as expected due
to the fact that TDS creep takes more than one minute to come down to
normal levels. Dessalator already had the control panels with green lights
and decided to market the system as if it worked that way, 2) or there is
some way that the system can actually be made to function as advertised
and I am not smart enough to figure how to do that, and the salinity sensor
wasn't hooked up due to a production error? (I have run various scenarios
in my mind hooking the salinity sensor to one of three un-used inputs but
still can't find a method that would allow the sensor to work as described
at the time of purchase).

If Amel requested this installation from Dessalator then Dessalator
probably won't admit it for fear of offending Amel. If Dessalator did
this without telling Amel then Dessalator will probably plead ignorance
to avoid looking bad. At any rate, until proven otherwise I am choosing
to believe that this sham installation was made by Dessalator and that
Amel believed them, just as we all did. After all, why would we not believe
them? Until now!

Regards, Gary Silver

Judy Rouse

Tested our watermaker twice today to time it. Green light comes on
at 1 minute 40 seconds.

We have verified that it does produce 160 lph. We have 108 hours on
the watermaker. It has been pickled many times.

Judy
S/V Security
SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...>
wrote:

Ian:

The green light on the water maker Does do something. It
illuminates
when the diverter solenoid valve switches from sending the product
water
overboard to sending the water to your tank. This occurs at 55
seconds
after system start (per the on board oscillator timer and totally
unrelated
to anything else). IF ANY AMEL OWNER HAS A SYSTEM THAT DOESN'T
CHANGE TO GREEN AT EXACTLY THE 55 SECOND MARK (+/- a second o
two) PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO THAT WE CAN DETERMINE HOW IT IS
CONNECTED THAT ALLOWS IT TOWORK.
<snip>

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Judy: Thanks for your response. Any chance you could take a digital photo of your
control circuit board (located in the electrical box on the back side of the control panel,
accessed from the port cockpit lazarette) and emailing it to me? Something is clearly
different about your watermaker than from mine.

Have you tried immersing your salinity sensor in sea water while the system is running to
see if it will divert the product water?

Please describe for us the amount of sodium metabisulfite you have used in your pickling
solution (e.g. how many tablespoons of powder in how much water), the duration of the
picklings (e.g. weeks or months at a time), and where the boat is located so we can know
the average temperature.

Thanks,

Gary Silver

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "jrjrjrouse2000" <sailingjudy@...> wrote:

Tested our watermaker twice today to time it. Green light comes on
at 1 minute 40 seconds.

We have verified that it does produce 160 lph. We have 108 hours on
the watermaker. It has been pickled many times.

Judy
S/V Security
SM2 #387

Judy Rouse

Hi Gary,

We will try to take a photo of the circuit board tomorrow or the
next day. The boat has been in BVI almost her entire life, in
Grenada now. Sorry, cannot tell you the proportions of the pickling
solution as both the previous owner and we always had the marina
manager do it after we left each trip. The watermaker was left
pickled typically for a period of 4-6 months at a time.

We have not tried immersing the salinity sensor into sea water while
during operation. Will let you know results when we try that.

Because of the messages posted from other Amel owners about failure
of membranes, we are ordering replacement membranes tomorrow simply
as a precautionary measure.

<sailingjudy@> wrote:

Tested our watermaker twice today to time it. Green light comes
on
at 1 minute 40 seconds.

We have verified that it does produce 160 lph. We have 108
hours on
the watermaker. It has been pickled many times.

Judy
S/V Security
SM2 #387

Judy Rouse

Gary,

We have a photo of our circuit board. Not sure if it will really
help you or not. Please provide me your email address offlist at
sailingjudy "at" gmail.com as I could not find an email option on
this group to email you directly.