From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:42 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Forward bildge water

Dave,

We replaced the seals and still continued to get a small amount of
water while sailing especially sailing to weather. We had noticed
that the bow thruster did not appear to raise all the way up because
the holes for the locking pin did not align.

While we were in Guadeloupe we asked Laurent at Amel to adjust the bow
thruster height. He looked at it and said it was adjusted correctly
and told us we needed to manually raise the bow thruster the
additional 1/2" which would align the holes and allow the locking pin
to be inserted. He said that by raising it this last 1/2" and
inserting the locking pin water would be prevented from coming in
around the seals. He showed us how to raise the bow thruster and
insert the pin by pulling the "lifting wire" inward (toward me) which
raises it another 1/2" and aligns the holes. Since our visit at Amel
in Guadeloupe, we have had no water in the bilge.

Is there any possibility that you have done any sailing without having
the bowthruster locked (pinned)? If so, you would have probably
received a slight amount of water in the forward bilge as you have
described. If you have never sailed without having the bowthruster
pinned in the locked position, then you have the correct assumption
that it is time to replace the seals.

Judy & Bill Rouse
s/v BeBe
SM2 # 387

--- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, "drdavegoodman"
<drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

Hello all;
In the process of preparing to install an electric toilet in the
forward head, I checked the forward bildge next to the head where the
seawater intake thru hull is located. I found a small amount of water
(1-2 inches) in the bildge. I did some investigating on the owners
site and found the info below, Kimberit and others indicate the
likely source is the bowthruster needing seal replacement, and further
indicates this can be done in while in the water using "bowthruster
removal tools." The info I have on board about the bowthruster is
very sketchy. I have contacted Amel for a boat manual several days
ago but so far they have been unresponsive. Any further advice would
be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

drdavegoodman

Hi Judy and Eric
Thanks for your responses.
Two questions:
1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
the bowthruster is in the down position?
Dave

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Judy,

I adjusted the cables and motor so that the hole lines up and that
the seals
are properly compressed. This prevents water ingress and makes life
a lot
easier when retracting the bow thruster.

Fair Winds,

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

<drdavegoodman@> wrote:

Hello all;
In the process of preparing to install an electric toilet in the
forward head, I checked the forward bildge next to the head where the
seawater intake thru hull is located. I found a small amount of water
(1-2 inches) in the bildge. I did some investigating on the owners
site and found the info below, Kimberit and others indicate the
likely source is the bowthruster needing seal replacement, and further
indicates this can be done in while in the water using "bowthruster
removal tools." The info I have on board about the bowthruster is
very sketchy. I have contacted Amel for a boat manual several days
ago but so far they have been unresponsive. Any further advice would
be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Dimitris Krassopoulos <dkra@...>

Hi to all,

I had the same problem and I installed a small bilge pump in the bilge close
to the depth sounder through hull. The sea water goes to the same brass duct
as the water from the shower I had just made a new one with one more inlet
where I fixed the hose from the new bilge pump. The pump has also a small
control unit which I installed easily close to the towel drier similar to
the jabsco control of the wc but just lower. It looks fine and works very
well I think that Amel should have thought of that the total cost is around
150 Dollars. I can send photos if anyone is interested.

Dimitris

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com

<drdavegoodman@> wrote:

Hello all;
In the process of preparing to install an electric toilet in the
forward head, I checked the forward bildge next to the head where the
seawater intake thru hull is located. I found a small amount of water
(1-2 inches) in the bildge. I did some investigating on the owners
site and found the info below, Kimberit and others indicate the
likely source is the bowthruster needing seal replacement, and further
indicates this can be done in while in the water using "bowthruster
removal tools." The info I have on board about the bowthruster is
very sketchy. I have contacted Amel for a boat manual several days
ago but so far they have been unresponsive. Any further advice would
be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Judy Rouse

Dave,

To answer your first question, there is no danger because to insert
the pin you have to turn off the toggle switch that is located in
front of the pin hole. With the toggle switch off the bow thruster
cannot be operated at the helm.

Regarding your second question, I am not sure. We were concerned that
we might not adjust it properly so when we were in Guadeloupe, we
asked Amel to adjust it. That is when Laurent at Amel-Guadeloupe said
it was adjusted properly and showed us how to pull on the wire cable
to move it the last 1/2".

Regarding a bilge pump for this area, we believe that it is designed
to remain dry. If you service the bow thruster and you secure it with
the locking pin, it will remain dry.

Best,

Bill & Judy Rouse
s/v BeBe
SM2 #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "drdavegoodman"
<drdavegoodman@...> wrote:

Hi Judy and Eric
Thanks for your responses.
Two questions:
1. Is there any danger of damaging the mechanism that lowers the
bowthruster if the pin has it fixed in the up position and you forget
to remove it while lowering the bowthruster?
2. When adjusting the bowthruster cable, I assume you do that when
the bowthruster is in the down position?
Dave

drdavegoodman

Judy;
There is no toggle switch that I can see in front of the bowthruster
securing pin. I have a 1998 AM, #230. What year/# is yours?
Dave