Electronics Needs

Global Scanner <globalscanner44@...>

With some major blue water cruising planned for later this year
I am currently looking to fit the following in my SM2000.

I have tried Amel's electronics installers but had no response.
I am looking for recommendations / advice from members on the
following as electronics is not my bag.

SSB Radio

a) the best radio to go for ( UK licence )

b) type of aerial to use and where to locate it

Satellite Phone

What make/ type to go for in terms of features, charge rates - is it the 'Mini M' ?

F/wd facing echopilot - through hull sonar

In members experience how good/effective are these ? Best to go for ?

2nd Raymarine ST7000 Autopilot

to include, fluxgate, computer, rotary chain drive, control panel, and rudder angle with switch to ensure both systems cannot be on at same time.

In members experience do I need to go for this second autohelm; how reliable is the principle ST7000?

My need for internet and e-mail at reasonable speed is also critical in the above considerations

Any help on some or all of the above will be much appreciated.

Frank Newton
Boat # 321

---------------------------------

Stephan Regulinski

Frank,

(1) SSB: We have an Icom 710 and have been very happy with it. We
had Amel install it (below the radar display in the spot that is
otherwise a drawer)with the whip antenna on the aft and the tuner in
the lazarette. Amel does a lot of these installations and they do a
good job.

(2) Sat Phone: we had a mini M and were not happy with the cost.
It was too easy to run up bills on the order of $1000/month. We
removed it and replaced it with a Pactor modem attached to the Icom
so we could do email over shortwave. By the way, I do not recommend
the stainless steel mounting system that Amel sells for the mini M.
Ours cracked. We replaced it with an arch on which we mounted the
mini M antenna (until we removed the system) and the wind
generator.

(3) Source: We bought our Icom, the Mini M and the Pactor modem all
from HF Onboard. Don, who runs the place is outstanding. When I
last spoke to him (around the time we bought the Pactor modem), he
reported that I was the last person to buy a mini M from him!
Apparently, pricing on the Iridium airtime and the Iridium phones is
substantially better than that on the mini M.

(4) Second autopilot drive unit. We bought the second drive unit
(chain) from Amel. It turned out to be worth the investment as we
had a failure on the aft drive unit while underway (Kingdom of Tonga
to New Zealand). At this point, we had about 35,000 miles on the
boat. Drive units will wear, and need service like everything else
(our linear drive was serviced in New Zealand and continues to
function fine).

Stephan
Delos (SMM 303)

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Global Scanner
<globalscanner44@...> wrote:

[...]

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

F/wd Frank Newton
Boat # 321
inquired regarding recommendations for:

" .... echopilot - through hull sonar...."

Frank: I had Amel install a Twinscope system on my SM 2000 Hull # 335 in 2001. It is
the monochrome system and even though I installed the TWINScope Display head, Amel
declined to install the larger transducer that it required. They indicated that they hadn't
done the Twinscope previously and were concerned that turbulance from the larger
transducer might interfere with the B & G sonic speed transducer system. The Twinscope
can utilize a sincel larger transducer or two smaller transducers. So Amel installed only the
vertical forward scanning transducer. I subsequently installed the second transducer (the
horizontal scanning transducer), forward of the one amel installed. It had to be further
forward on the bow to be out of the way of the 1st transducer. Joel correctly pointed out
that the risk of doing this, besides the increased drag, is the doubling of the potential risk
of tearing a hole in the boat if you stike somethin in the water.

I have found the horizontal scanning mode rather difficult to interpret. On the other hand
the vertical forward scanning mode has saved me from grounding several times. Would I
do it again?, I honestly don't know. I believe Twinscope has a color unit available now and
if I was sailing where there were more coral heads then I think I would opt for the
Twinscope, but so far I haven't found much use for the horizontal scanning mode in the
Caribbean, Western Europe, or the East coast of the US.

Hope this helps. Gary Silver

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Frank Newton
Boat # 321

RE: Electronics suggestions:

I would recommend installing a bilge pump run-on-alarm (alarms if the bilge pump runs
for more than a programmed time limit, I use two minutes) and exhaust temperature
alarms. Both are available from http://www.borelmfg.com/index.html ( www dot
borelmfg dot com).

I don't see the run on alarm on Borel's current web site, but if you call them I am sure they
can provide it.

The temp sensors may save you from a meltdown of the water muffler or hose/ or both if
the injector nozel becomes blocked and the run on alarm will give early warning that the
bilge is filling with water, (sooner than after the bilge pump has been running for an hour
trying to keep up), and finally falls behind.

Additional suggestions are: Electronic salinity sensor for the water maker as the
Dessalator salinity sensor DOES NOT WORK. and the Blue Sea's Digital Multimeter on the
220 volt panel so you always know your power consumption, frequency, and voltage.

Pictures of both of the last items are in the photo section under watermaker as I recall.

Regards, Gary

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

amelliahona <no_reply@...>