Topics

Maramu fuel tank

maramu48 <maramu48@...>

Can someone give advice on how to inspect, clean/flush the Maramu
diesel fuel tank? Are there access panels? What is the internal
configuration?

Jochen Hofmann <jochen@...>

To the best of my knowledge this is one of the flaws in the Maramu design -
there isn't any.

We have the same issue on our Blue Song - so far fortunately it hasn't
become an issue !

Has anyone had an inspection opening made for the Maramu fuel tank ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Fair Winds,

Jochen Hofmann

Maramu # 143 Blue Song

m_iachelli

Hi maramu 48,
I'm afraid I cannot give many advices on a Maramu 46 (I think that's the right LOA), but I own an Euros 41 in which the diesel tanks were in stainless still nad built inside the hull without any kind of access. When I started having some leak problems I had to cut through the bottom of the locker covering them to cut an access port and eventually to cut them out of the boat. In my case I have been forced to rebuild them in Epoxy fbg integrally to the hull of the boat because of lack of room to fit the new ones back in.
I hope that is not your case, anyway good luck.
Mauro
Euros #41

PS: In case you need I attached a inside plan of the Maramu 46, showing the position of the diesel tank.

---------------------------------
Building a website is a piece of cake.

svsunnyside

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "maramu48" <maramu48@...> wrote:

Can someone give advice on how to inspect, clean/flush the Maramu
diesel fuel tank? Are there access panels? What is the internal
configuration?
Hi !
Maramu fuel tank hasn´t any possibility of inspection. Because of
internal baffle you cannot clean the whole floor but only the portion
under the feeding hole.This is the most important area, because it is
the deepest and where the outlet pipe is welded.
A rubber hose of one inch introduced thru the feeding hole, long enough
to touch the floor, connected to the inlet of a pump, can do the job.
Because a rubber hose is never strait, if you turn it continously you
can clean a wider surface.
This is what I have done in the past (with satisfactory results) but in
the near future I will install in the opposite side of the hull a
filtered day tank.
I have the drowing of the tank on board and at the moment I am on land
in Italy while the boat is on a yard in Cartagena(Colombia). If you
aren´t in a hurry I can send it to you in November when I´ll be back on
board.
Fair wind and kind regards
Gabriele Antolini

billklein48 <sidecar1@...>

In one of the recent boat magazines: either Latitudes and Attitudes
or Passagemaker, there was an article on the subject of fuel
polishing systems and installation of inspection ports in existing
tanks. On a metal tank as on my Maramu it would be a fairly easy
installation to put in one or two inspection ports. The fuel level
would have to lower than the port(s) for installation of course. The
retro-fitted ports have an exterior metal bezel and I believe a split
reinforcement to be installed inside the tank to retain a gasket
seal. Perhaps someone out there could remember which magazine it was
from. I dont have space to save old mags.
----Bill Klein SV "Popeye"
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Jochen Hofmann" <jochen@...>
wrote:

To the best of my knowledge this is one of the flaws in the Maramu
design -
there isn't any.

We have the same issue on our Blue Song - so far fortunately it
hasn't
become an issue !

Has anyone had an inspection opening made for the Maramu fuel tank ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Fair Winds,

Jochen Hofmann

Maramu # 143 Blue Song

amarsini <alberto.marsini@...>

Unfortunately I don't know how the Maramu fuel tank is but I know
very well Sharki's tank.
This winter we had a very big refurbishing of our Sharki nr. 144 and
we put the fuel tank on the land, out of the boat.
The Sharki has the fuel tank on a side of the engine inside the
boat, along the wall between the engine and the passageway to the
rear cabine.
Its a 340 lt tank, it was washed and shaked several time but all was
made on the land. It's quite simple to bring out of the boat, trough
the main door, and when it went back into the boat a new covering
was made.

I hope this will help.

Alberto Marsini (Sharki 144, Talamone)

<jochen@...> wrote:

To the best of my knowledge this is one of the flaws in the Maramu
design -
there isn't any.

We have the same issue on our Blue Song - so far fortunately it
hasn't
become an issue !

Has anyone had an inspection opening made for the Maramu fuel
tank ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Fair Winds,

Jochen Hofmann

Maramu # 143 Blue Song

rotormaneuros41 <rotormail@...>

Hi Mauro,

I also have an Euros 41 and thinking about adding inspection holes to the fuel tanks. Do you remember if the tanks on the Euros has baffles inside?

Cheers
Geza
SV Rotor
Auckland, New Zealand
www.rotorman.hu

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Mauro Iachelli <m_iachelli@...> wrote:

Hi maramu 48,
I'm afraid I cannot give many advices on a Maramu 46 (I think that's the right LOA), but I own an Euros 41 in which the diesel tanks were in stainless still nad built inside the hull without any kind of access. When I started having some leak problems I had to cut through the bottom of the locker covering them to cut an access port and eventually to cut them out of the boat. In my case I have been forced to rebuild them in Epoxy fbg integrally to the hull of the boat because of lack of room to fit the new ones back in.
I hope that is not your case, anyway good luck.
Mauro
Euros #41

PS: In case you need I attached a inside plan of the Maramu 46, showing the position of the diesel tank.

Jose_Luis Isasi

Hi Geza,

The plan shows something that could be called baffles.

Check in the photos section. I can also send it to you if necessary.

Regards
JL

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "rotormaneuros41" <rotormail@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi JL,

I found the outside and inside plans in the Xalol folder But on those plans I cant see any baffles in the fuel tank. There is in the water tank, though.

Cheers
Geza

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Jose_Luis" <lji0041@...> wrote:

[...]

My fault, I read too quickly. :-)