From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jochen Hofmann
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 6:48 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re:Maramu fuel tank

To the best of my knowledge this is one of the flaws in the Maramu
design -
there isn't any.

We have the same issue on our Blue Song - so far fortunately it hasn't
become an issue !

Has anyone had an inspection opening made for the Maramu fuel tank ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Fair Winds,

Jochen Hofmann

Maramu # 143 Blue Song

Don Henderson <maramu48@...>

James,
Thanks for your comments. Can you describe the size and positions of the baffles? Are they welded to the sides and bottom? Are there limber holes at the bottom corners, or is there a space between the bottom edge of a baffle and the bottom of the tank?
thanks

Jim Dernehl <jim.dernehl@operatingtech.com> wrote:
Jochen
You are correct, that the lack of access ports in these well made
stainless steel tanks must be addressed at some point on every boat.
Diesel will shed crud---living and dead---that must be removed. I
addressed this issue on my Amel by having a series of access ports cut
in the lower part of the tanks between each baffle----about 4-5 ports
were cut. Each port is large enough to reach through with a brush and
vacuum hose. The fellow who did the work for me claimed to pull from the
tank about 12 gallons of crud accumulated over a 9 year period. Next
time I am at the boat, I will take some pictures and send them on with
dimensions. It is very important to seal these ports with gasket and
solid sections of stainless steel that will take the normal strain of
sailing with out leaking.

James Dernehl
Maramu # 88 PAO-SAN

________________________________

To the best of my knowledge this is one of the flaws in the Maramu
design -
there isn't any.

We have the same issue on our Blue Song - so far fortunately it hasn't
become an issue !

Has anyone had an inspection opening made for the Maramu fuel tank ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Fair Winds,

Jochen Hofmann

Maramu # 143 Blue Song

---------------------------------
Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Jim, we did the job a bit different, We used a fuel
polishing guy to pump the tank a number of times to
clean things out. Once the tank was fully pumped we
took off the fuel lines prior to the fist fuel filter
and put some air pressue to the tank to blow out and
grim still in the lines. It work very well no longer
did we have an issue with bad fuel.

We also added a dual filter system to keep from having
prolbems underway should be a get a bad batch of
fuel..

Good luck and fair winds
Richard SM 209
--- Don Henderson <maramu48@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

removed]

removed]

removed]

http://tv.yahoo.com/

Jim Dernehl <jim.dernehl@...>

Richard
I am sorry that I have not yet sent you pictures but I am traveling
and will not be back to my boat until November-----in any case, your
adding dual filters is a great idea.I assume you put RACOR filters on
the boat or something similar. I have dual RACOR filters on PAO-SAN and
they work great. Even with the cleaning ports I have installed these
filters still are a life saver. It is always in the rough seas that you
need to change them----better them then having the engine stop. I can
not answer your question regarding the exact position of the
baffles----I can only assume that they are in a vertical position-----as
the installed ports do allow access to the bottom of the tank. I have
never been at the boat when cleaning has been done on the tank-----but
no one has complained about access. I will send you pictures plus some
measurement so you can get an idea of what seems to works.

Jim Dernehl
Pao-San # 88

________________________________

--- Don Henderson <maramu48@yahoo.com <mailto:maramu48%40yahoo.com> >

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
To the best of my knowledge this is one of the flaws
in the Maramu
design -
there isn't any.

We have the same issue on our Blue Song - so far
fortunately it hasn't
become an issue !

Has anyone had an inspection opening made for the
Maramu fuel tank ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Fair Winds,

Jochen Hofmann

Maramu # 143 Blue Song

removed]

removed]

removed]

Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest
shows on Yahoo! TV.
http://tv.yahoo.com/ <http://tv.yahoo.com/>