[Amel Yacht Owners] Lofrans Windlass Control Box

Ian Shepherd

Hi Judy and Bill,

Glad you fixed the problem OK and thanks for sharing the fix with us in case
we have the same problem. I have been having a related problem the past two
summers with my chain counter that has been driving me nuts. It works
perfectly in mild temperatures, but once it gets above about 33C, the
readout goes haywire then freezes. You can anchor successfully and then
watch the chain counter slowly count down to zero then go to negative
numbers over a period of time, so when you weigh anchor, you don't know when
it is coming on board, though I do find that my forward looking sonar set to
the 6M range does show the chain angle and the anchor itself.

I really have not proved if the problem lies in the counter sensor or the
instrument itself. Tests have been inconclusive. Has anyone else had this
problem and can shed some light on where the fault lies please?

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader

svmalaika@...

I have had a similar, but nowhere near as severe, problem with our chain
counter in hot weather. I suspect the problem is with the temperature
sensitivity of the LCD display. I have been meaning to test my theory by waiting until
the problem occurs and then cooling the display unit using a portable fan
blowing over a bowl of ice cubes. Unfortunately summer is ending here in the Med
so my "test" will have wait until next year. Anyone in the tropics with this
problem care to try the "test" and report their findings?

Charlie
S/V MALAIKA II
Barcelona, SPAIN

michael grunstein <mgrunstein2002@...>

I had a faulty readout, it just counted up and then
down continuously without even operating the anchor.
I finaly replaced the electronic guts, inside the boat
above the sink counter, as well as the transducer on
the windlass. Problem solved.

Michael Grunstein, #345, Yonita
--- Ian Shepherd <sv_freespirit@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

removed]

Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

Ian Shepherd

Hi Charlie,

My thanks to you and all the others that replied concerning faulty readouts
on the chain counter. I don't think it is the display itself as that works
normally and zeros when told etc. It might well be an overheat of the
counter chip circuitry behind the display though.

I wonder where your counter is mounted? On my first SM the counter was
fitted alongside the main instruments. That is to say, mounted vertically
and mostly in the shade. On the second boat, the counter is mounted next to
the auto pilot control box. Here the housing cooks in sunlight through the
dodger. This might, perhaps, be the root of the problem. I would be
interested to hear from you and the others who have replied as to where
their chain counter instrument is located.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader

I have had a similar, but nowhere near as severe, problem with our chain
counter in hot weather. I suspect the problem is with the temperature
sensitivity of the LCD display. I have been meaning to test my theory by
waiting until
the problem occurs and then cooling the display unit using a portable fan
blowing over a bowl of ice cubes. Unfortunately summer is ending here in the
Med
so my "test" will have wait until next year. Anyone in the tropics with this

problem care to try the "test" and report their findings?

Charlie
S/V MALAIKA II
Barcelona, SPAIN

at

drdavegoodman

Hi Micahel
My chain counter is now malfunctioning (SM 260 1998). Who did you
contact for the replacement parts you mentioned in your post?
Thanks
Dave
s/v Bel Ami

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, michael grunstein