grey water -electronics

Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>

Grey water: On my Mango #51, the kitchen sinks empty overboard, while only grey water from the heads empty in the bilge. In accordance with Amel's recommendation a few capfull of bilge soap once a month seems to keep the bilge odor free. Of course large stainless mesh filters at the base of the shower drain retain any large residue of grey water, and particularly hair...

Forward stay size: I am presently at home in Montréal and my boat (ketch rig) is in Martinique so I cannot help as to the size of my stay... but I am shure Rodger's mango would have originally been equipped with Sarma rigging, wich was used by Amel in 1980 and easily recognisible by the engraving of the date of frabrication of the stay and lenght on the base bolt of each stay. If Rodger's mango still has this rigging, the size of the existing rigging is good. However when in was in the port of Marseille in 2005, I met Mr Gateff ceo of the sailmaker for Amel who installed a new genoa on my boat, and he cautioned me very strongly as to furling the genoa the wrong way, that is in the same direction as the strands of the stay. He also advised that the genoa should never be used, even partially furled in winds in excess of 35 knots and that beyond that speed, damage is often caused to the furler extrusion tube either about 5 feet above the furling gearbox or immediately
above it and of course to stay, just above the lower terminal. Finally upon installing the new sail, Gateff noticed that the 2 sticks, called "cornes" in french (it could be "horns" in english), and screwed on the top swivel were damaged. I replaced same, as Gateff indicated that not only they were key to the proper operation of the furling system, but also, in the absence of one of the horns, the upper terminal of the forward stay could be damaged. When I purchased my boat in 2005, I noticed that the headstay had been recently changed and the furler extrusion repaired by welding 1 meter from the furling gear... Asto the diameter of Roger's stay, 1)I believe that when putting down my rigging for the hurricane season, my forward stay was the same size as that I have seen on a SuperMaramu, 2) a simple call or e-mail to Amel in Larochelle or Hyère will provide the definitive answer!

Autopilot: I have a Neco system which has been properly serviced and maitained, but it is not very efficient, draining some 6 amp and constanly moving. In 2005 I installed a strong metal extension on the top of the rudder post as well as a type 2 electrical linear drive to control the rudder right under the aft cabin bed and seat. The Autohelm 7000st was used for an Atlantic crossing this year, and has proven to be very efficient, and in case of problem with the Autohelm, the Neco cans be switched on...

Radio communications antennas: many Amel are equipped with a whip antenna for HF radio. I had one on a previous boat and found it anoying and it would be difficult to install on my Mango because of the davit which alows the dinghy to be stored flat on the side at the rear of the boat.
On my Mango I have 2 HF rig, one the Icom 710 drives thru a 130 icom tuner one isolated backstay of the mitzen mast, the second a Icom 706 MkII drives the other isolated bakstay for the same mast, thru a SG237 tuner. Of course I cannot operate both rigs simutaneously, but they function well and particularly the 706, many times in conditions where other ham stations close to mine cannot connect.

Serge D Tremblay, Mango#51

Obtenez des réponses à vos questions ! Profitez des connaissances et des opinions des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.