[Amel Yacht Owners] main preventers & companionway lock

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

HI Guys, we are on SM 209 and use a preventer on the
main boom that leads back to the secondary winch so we
can adjust the tension from the cockpit. We us a 3:1
set of blocks to get the job done.. We also us use a
vang on the mizzen that has a jam cleat. While we
have to leave the cockpit it is an easy task most of
the time.

--- john martin <symoondog@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Eric on "Kimberlite",

You asked me a while back about my main preventers.
I've posted some photos on my photo folder "Moon
Dog". I don't use the Amel-provided vang with jam
cleat, I use two vangs without the built-in jam
cleat and use a rope clutch to secure them each in
the cockpit. I just attach one end of the vang to
the eye under the middle of the boom and then the
other end to the cleat on the salon roof top (the
one usually used for the pole foreguy). The lines
to tighten or loosen the vangs run through a hole in
the front of the hard dodger, through a rope clutch
inside the dodger on the dashboard. I have one on
each side and now I never have to leave the cockpit
to trim a preventer. I've also got two pad-eyes in
the deck, through bolted, mounted in the wiring
access compartments in forward head and the forward
hanging locker. This lead isn't as good as the roof
top cleats but they've worked well to prevent a gybe
in pretty bad conditions. So either place works to
secure them.

I've also posted photos of the very simple system I
use to hold the companionway door up. It is a flat
brass sliding bar that just slides onto a small L
bracket. It only takes a second to put in place. I
used to have a barrel bolt there but it was always a
hassle to line up the bolt with the hole, so this is
much easier.

All's well with us, we are moving slowly south with
the springtime and warming weather. We are in
Caldera now, a small town of 12,000 people, the
local people are very friendly...we were out til 2
last night at the "Hermandad de la Costa" Friday
night men's club, abalone for dinner followed by
lots of red wine and singing of Chilean folk songs !

Best regards,
John Martin
SM 248 "Moon Dog"
removed]