Harbor/marina/yard info wanted

Ag Av8ter

Hello all,

It is time to start heading back to the US. Can anyone tell me of
a "good" marina that has yard facilites? I would like to pull the main
and generator out of our boat and give the engine room a total
upgrading. We have reservations at a marina in New Bern, NC., but
there are no facilites for the work I would like to get done. We would
prefer to stay in No. Carolina or So. Carolina maybe even Georgia. We
plan to get there just about Christmas. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions.

Tony Gray
WORLD CITIZEN
SM #266
Bonaire

rbenven44 <no_reply@...>

Hello Tony,

First of all, you won't be able to get a SM into New Bern without
removing the main mast first. Read the posts about doing the ICW
from Norfolk to Beaufort. The tide range isn't enough to get you
under the fixed bridges.

I have cruised the Carolinas and the East Coast extensively for
many years. In my opinion, the best yards on the central East Coast
are in the Chesapeake. Right now, I am hauled out at Deltaville
Boatyard, near the South end of the Chesapeake. It's far from any
city, but has good people, very competitive rates, and can handle a
SM. There are about 150 good-sized sailboats hauled out here, and
they have competent mechanics. There's not much in the Carolinas or
Georgia that can compare, except maybe Charleston City Marina &
Boatyard (But I have no experience with their boatyard).

Feel free to contact me regarding Deltaville Boatyard or any other
location on the East Coast.

Regards, Roy on Excalibur, SM # 195

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "agav8ter" <agav8ter@...>
wrote:

Hello all,

It is time to start heading back to the US. Can anyone tell me of
a "good" marina that has yard facilites? I would like to pull the
main
and generator out of our boat and give the engine room a total
upgrading. We have reservations at a marina in New Bern, NC., but
there are no facilites for the work I would like to get done. We
would
prefer to stay in No. Carolina or So. Carolina maybe even Georgia.
We
plan to get there just about Christmas. Thanks in advance for any
suggestions.

Tony Gray
WORLD CITIZEN
SM #266
Bonaire

Ag Av8ter

Wow, I am glad I asked. I talked to two marinas in New Bern and
neither mentioned bridges. I was under the impression that the
bridges were inland or up river from the marinas. Thanks for your
input. Tony

wrote:

[...]

Ken & Judy <goldendaze@...>

Ken Coats and Judy Golden on Golden Daze Amel Maramu 192, Portugal:

We just prepared in Chesapeake Marine Railway (formerly Deagles)
in Deltaville Va for our Atlantic crossing.

New owners Rick and his brother John were very good working
with a tight schedule and working with or without me.
Work crew were friendly, experinced and quite capable. Charges
were as expected (always, anywhere, check before the work
is done, and always be involved).

We did about 10K worth of work and I felt I got every cent worth.
If any problem you talk with the owner, and he gives a shit.

Thats was my best haulout so far and I did a lot of work my self,
and worked with the owner or crew one other projects.

The restrooms suck, but were being remodeled when we left.

Ken Coats