Topics

gasoline smell

dr_hofschulte

we identified our plastic jerry cans to be the real cause for
permanent gasoline smell on board of our AMEL Super Maramu 2004. We
finally decided to tie them on deck. There, however, they are exposed
to all kinds of environmental stresses and are not handsome. Is there
anyone in our Amel community, who could advise us, where and how we
could store them below deck without running again into the same smell
problem?"

Best regards and a happy New Year for all of you

Hans-Joachim Hofschulte Germany baltic sea
Sm # 436

patrick.naegels <patrick.naegels@...>

No way, the best place is on the deck. We put a plank on each board
of the boat where we fasten 5 jerrycans. Total 200 litres available.
Enough to sail 900 miles at 1600 R/m on flat sea.

Patrick (SM2K - Caramel - hull #329)

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "dr_hofschulte"
<Dr.Hofschulte@...> wrote:

we identified our plastic jerry cans to be the real cause for
permanent gasoline smell on board of our AMEL Super Maramu 2004. We
finally decided to tie them on deck. There, however, they are
exposed
to all kinds of environmental stresses and are not handsome. Is
there
anyone in our Amel community, who could advise us, where and how we
could store them below deck without running again into the same
smell
problem?"

Best regards and a happy New Year for all of you

Hans-Joachim Hofschulte Germany baltic sea
Sm # 436

edmund_steele

Do you mean diesel smell? We carry spare diesel in plastic jerry jugs
in the stern locker but as long as the caps are screwed down tight
there is no leakage from these.

Our problem gasoline smell is usually from the outboard tank and it's
quick disconnect hose. For safety reasons we usually store it above
deck under the captain's chair in the cockpit or if we are carrying an
inflated dinghy across the mizzen deck, we just set the outboard's tank
inside the dinghy.

We have noticed a persistent diesel smell when sailing in a choppy sea
with the wind blowing in certain directions. Each time this has
happened, I have checked the stern locker and the engine room for leaks
and found none. The culprit is the diesel tank vent hose that produces
fumes when the contents of the tank are being slopped around.

Ed
SV Doodlebug SM#331

Stephan Regulinski

Dear Hans-Joachim,

We stored our gasoline jerry cans in the safety locker. This isolated
them from the cabin, environmental exposure, and all electrical systems
(which reduces the explosion hazard). This solution is not perfect,
because the safety locker is not vented overboard. However, all Amel
lockers suffer from this problem except the camping gaz locker which
does have a vent at the bottom.

The alternative solution is to store on board but to sew up covers with
some material like "Sunbrella" which offers some protection from solar
degradation of the plastic.

A proper vented gasoline locker would be a welcome addition to any boat.
But then, so would a proper solution of the four major storage problems
of every long-distance cruiser: (1) gasoline ; (2) trash ; (3) shoes;
and (4) dinghy plus engine.

Fair winds and following seas,

Stephan G. Regulinski

Delos (SMM #303)