[SPAM][Amel Yacht Owners] Re: dropping vinyl ceiling

Lars Knudsen <museum@...>

Hi Federico

I sounds like you have found a great product. But I would still like to know
which product Amel themselves use and recommend.

Problem is that when a covering is used in a boat that is constantly exposed
to the sun, it will get very, very hot. Therefore the material must be able
not only to insulate - which is great - but also to withstand ageing caused
by heat.

Have others found out which material Amel now use?

Regards,

Lars

Fisher, Thomas W.

Hello All,

I of course have the same problem on my 1986 Sharki. I know of one boat that elected to go a different route and use vinyl panels finished with wood trim over the seems. It looks tremendous. I know the owner did not bother stripping the old glue except in spots were he laminated supports etc. for the trim work. In the end I think the time commitment was just as long but not nearly as dirty.
I was considering stripping the old glue etc. and then applying a product called Mascote which is a nano insulation product used on commercial ships and coast guard vessels. It is applied as a paint and results in a hard white slightly texturized finish. The sales people say you came get a about R10 by following the minimal application instructions. I planned to trim it out more for looks than anything. If anyone has tried this I would appreciate hearing about it.

All the best,

Tom Fisher

Sheila,
Sharki #142