Amel Stainless Steel Anchor Shank Bend

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Folks:

On a recent bit of sailing in Barbuda, West Indies, we were anchored overnight in a bit of a
windy anchorage (about 25 knots, gusts to 30 knots). We were anchored in a sand bottom as
far as we know and the boat would sail about somewhat as is customary. We had a nylon
anchor snubber in place. Upon weighing anchor (the anchor broke out with the normal
amount of resistance) we found the bent anchor shank depicted in the photo that I have
posted in the photo's section.

Has anybody else had this problem? I have delivered the anchor to a shop in Antigua that
says they can straighten the shank in their hydraulic press. I am concerned about work
hardening of the metal from the bending forces. Anybody have thoughts about the
advisability of straightening the shaft. The shank is welded in place so replacement would be
a major undertaking. There is no deformation of the blade of the anchor.

Regards, Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM2000 Hull # 335

Miles Bidwell <mbidwell@...>

I also had my anchor shaft bend after I caught it under a rock. Amel in
Hyeres straightened it and I hope that it is not weakened. Given the
questions about the affect of bending and of welding on the underlying
strength, I would suggest that someone correspond directly with WASI in
Germany and then inform this group. WASI seems to be proud of their
metallurgy and products and should be able to tell us how best to deal with
this problem.

I am not volunteering to do this because I am on my boat in the Caribbean
and do not have good internet access.

Miles Bidwell s/y/ LADYBUG

SM 216

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Miles
Do you have the WASI anchor? Mine is not a WASI anchor, rather it is a
CQR like anchor made from polished stainless. I don't know the manufacturer.
The applicable metallurgical principles would cross over to almost
any 316 SS.

Gary

Miles wrote: ....."I would suggest that someone correspond directly with WASI in
Germany and then inform this group. WASI seems to be proud of their
metallurgy and products and should be able to tell us how best to deal with
this problem."

Miles Bidwell <mbidwell@...>

Gary,

I replaced my CQR type with the WASI several years back and have loved the
WASI-except for the bending possibility. I now wonder how much of this
discussion has been about which type of anchor. In any case, if some of
this does involve the WASI, I do think that WASI would be a good source of
information. If I am the only one having the problem with the WASI, I will
get in touch with them when I have internet.

Miles

LADYBUG SM 216

poirauda <poirauda@...>

<<<<<The following email is from WASI>>>>>>>>>>>>>
……. It should take 2 people not much more than 15
minutes and will have absolutely NO negative effects on the
structural
integrity of the anchor....

Ari Grimm
WASI

May I say that I FULLY disagree with Ari Grimm's statement..
In a previous life ( :-) ), I've been involved in manufacturing
artificial heart valves and artificial hearts.. All valves have been
carved into a solid piece of titanium, as all our studies have
proved that both bending and welding the metal will change the
molecular structure and weaken the metal. Cardiac surgery is a place
where the risk factor should be absolutely ZERO..

Now, let's say that the shank is welded to the fluke.. but at a
place where the shank is much larger, and the overall resistance
should be enough..

It is very difficult to assert precisely which level of weakness re-
bending the shank straight will create.. but in doubt I think I will
change my own anchor for a new one.
Stainless steel is beautiful,
but galvanized steel (at least the one used to manufacture anchor's
shanks) is much stronger..

For more information, please have a look at my book:

"The complete anchoring hand book"

http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071475087

Stephan Regulinski

While it is true that manufacturing by carving a piece out of solid
metal potentially has advantages over other processes (better control
of the molecular properties is one); it is difficult to believe that
this is a relevant fact to the repair of an anchor that has been
forged and welded in its original manufacture.

The anchor is not the only place where we rely on traditional
metal-working techniques. The anchor chain is welded, shackles are
forged, the bow fitting on the Amel is welded, fittings on the
riggings are swaged (a cold forging technique) and on it goes.
Fortunately, all these bits can be observed periodically; an advantage
that we have over the heart valve.

If you want a real life data point, I have bent the stainless plow
delivered on my Amel (#303) twice. The first time, it was bent back
into shape and welded at the points which showed stress from being
bent. That repair produced an anchor strong enough to suffer a second
bending without failure. At that point, I had it repaired again. In
the second repair, it was bent back into shape and then had two plates
welded across the I-beam to create a box-beam. My welder for the
second repair was of the opinion that it was stronger after the second
repair than it was brand new.

Stephan
S/V Delos