Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Sonic Speed

Hi Gary,Your nose for where to look remains as sensitive as ever. When we tried to adjust the knob no light came on at all. Turns out that the transducers are fine ( thank goodness!) but there is a fault in the control box. Luckily I am going home to the UK next week so B&G can deal with it there.Cheers, Ian

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Ian:
The fact that the red light doesn't come on at all still doesn't exclude the
possibility of a bad transducer, it only means that the send receive loop is
not being completed. It could be a fault with the control box OR a trans-
ducer. I still recommend that you have the control box tested by B & G,
then if it turns out it is ok it would point to a transducer problem. My
experience with all things electronic is that the most common place to
find a fault is in the connectors. As there aren't connectors here, just
wires under screws, double check to make sure that the wires aren't
corroded and the screws are tight.

Have you measured, using a multimeter, the voltage at the control box
to verify that you have voltage there? The wires are labeled on the placard
that is in the bottom of the box. Just test between the ground and voltage
wires (I can't remember if this is a 24 volt or 12 volt system but I believe
the placard or your on board literature should say what it is). Find out from
B & G how to best test the transducers and their cables (e.g. measuring
voltage or resistance across the transducer etc), and post their response
here for the benefit of the group.
Good Luck, Gary

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Ian & Judy Jenkins <ianjudyjenkins@...>
wrote:

Hi Gary,Your nose for where to look remains as sensitive as ever. When we tried to
adjust the knob no light came on at all. Turns out that the transducers are fine ( thank
goodness!) but there is a fault in the control box. Luckily I am going home to the UK next
week so B&G can deal with it there.Cheers, Ian

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/

Hi Gary, Thanks for that . I forgot to mention that I did get the local B & G guy here,( Daniel from Goodwood marine ) to check out the box and the transducers. He was emailing B&G to ensure he was collecting the tight readings with his meter so I am reasonably confident that he has diagnosed it right. However I shall be printing out your suggestions and putting them in my B&G folder just in case. By the way, one day I will put together a book of Gary Silver tips on SM's and make myself a fortune! Keep 'em coming!
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/

Hi Gary, Thanks for your further thoughts and tips. I had forgotten to mention that I did have the transducers checked by Goodwood Marine in Trinidad who emailed B&G in England to ensure that they were checking them in the right way. It was they who concluded that the transducers were ok and that the control box was at fault. I am now back in the UK and have just sent the control box off to B & G so I hope to hear shortly from them with their diagnosis.
Incidentally the agent in Trinidad, who I eventually concluded was pretty competent, said that he found that B&G spares from the UK were cheaper than from the US notwithstanding the extra postage costs.If so they are about the only thing that is cheaper.
Cheers, Ian

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Ian:

Any updates on your sonic speed problem? While in Guadeloupe last week I asked the
Porchoen tech to have a look at my sonic speed system as I have been wondering about
the accuracy of my system and have been making attempts at calibrating it. Here are
some tips that we discussed:
1. It is important to have clean sensors (nothing dangling in front or between the sender
and receiver sensors). I had recently cleaned mine and noted an improvement. While
painting them doesn't seem to harm them, some sort of sea growth intermittently blocking
the transmission path or causing water turbulence in that path may cause errors.
2. He stated that the sensors very seldom fail but when they do it is because of water
intrusion. He confirmed that they can be replaced via their mounting tubes without
grinding fiberglass etc, but that this is most easily done when out of the water.
3. He indicated that if the knob in the computer is set such that it is in the mid range of
the red LED staying on, and that the LED stays illuminated most of the time when
underway, that this will virtually confirm that the sensors are working properly.
4. The calibration number that they put in to the calibration set up on the B&G display for
the Amel Super Maramu is 6.2. That almost always works. I had been working all around
this number in my calibrations but this number seems to be the best.
5. If all else fails you can do a complete reset of the B&G system (supposedly detailed in
the B&G installation manual. The drawback to this is that it resets the boats log.

Just some more thought as well all strive to understand our technology.
.
Gary Silver s/v Liahona Amel SM 2000 hull # 335

Hi Gary, Thanks for that info. One day I am going to make my fortune by publishing all your tips in one book!
Nothing yet heard back from Lymington ( the B&G service dept.) .
When we opened up the control box in Trinidad the knob was at approximately 1.2 ( just on the 1.0 side). I took a photo of it before we moved it.
I don't think I have ever touched the calibration since we first took delivery though on several occasions I have checked out the performance of the log and always concluded that it was the most accurate log I have ever owned in 29 years.
I'm just hoping it will continue to be>
Cheers,
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000002ukm/direct/01/

Hi Gary, Having transported my sonic speed box back to the UK ,B & G have now told me that there is nothing wrong with it and that it must be the transducers !They explain that the test that Goodwood Marine in Trini had carried out on the transducers ( following the instructions of B&G in the UK) doesn't prove that the transducers work.( To be fair, the fault we have is that wretched thing " an intermittent fault", and maybe when Goodwood Marine did their tests the damn things were working.A new pair apparently costs about £200, about $360 ( and falling, for you guys....). As Pen Azen is on the hard in Trini I have decided to fit new ones when we return in November. Watch this space....
Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:01:59 +0000
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Sonic Speed

[...]

Win New York holidays with Kellogg’s & Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/107571440/direct/01/

Hi Gary,
A long , expensive, unfinished saga...
1. In May our transducers were checked in Trinidad. Told they were fine and the problem was the control box.
2. Took the box back to UK. B&G HQ sais it was fine and that it was the transducers! Said ( apparently this is so) that actually you can't be certain by checking the transducers.
3. Bought replacement transducers....the wrong ones. The Amel ones are about 4" long and straight. The ones shown in the B&G manual are sort of V shaped.
4. Bought the right ones from Pochon in Guadeloupe.
5. Came out in the Travellift in Guadeloupe. DON'T. Its in too narrow a slot and the guy who operates it...... 6" gouge on the boat. Only reassuring thing is the depth of the gelcoat.
6. Pochon very efficient. Old transducers came out very easily.
7. BUT...no change. Pochon then checks the box as obviously the transducers were not at fault. Replaces the card. Bingo, we have a log.
8. It looks to me as tho B&G HQ failed to spot the fault in the box.Now starts the battle to try to get them to contribute to the wholly unnecessary costs I have incurred, particularly as Pochon think the old card can be repaired.
We are now in Antigua but returning to Guadeloupe on 2 Jan. However we will be back in mid Jan for a longer stay. It would be great to meet up . Are you still based in Jolly Harbour? What are your movements?
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/122465942/direct/01/

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Ian & Judy:

Sorry to hear about your trials and tribulations related to the sonic speed. It is a neat system
when it works but I gather that the system is a bit of a mystery even to B & G. One time
when I queried the USA B & G tech support team they actually denied that B & G even had a
sonic speed system. I told them that not only did they make it but that it was on some 500
Amel boats.

Yes, my boat is still in Jolly Harbor. We left her after relaunch and a brief 10 days of sailing
during December to come home for Christmas. We are on the C dock (newly rebuilt concrete
docks). Drop me a note to AgCEagle at comcast dot net and lets see if we can link up.

All the best (to quote Joel),

Gary