[Amel Yacht Owners] Interphase sonar

Hi Shenanigans, I think the answer to your question depends where you sail. We have the ordinary Scope and didn't use it in anger in Europe and throughout the Caribbean becuse the quality of charts and electronic charts made it redundant. However when we were in Chile I met a local yottie whose 35ft wooden boat was used as a survey boat for a company looking for new places to put their salmon farms.He was contantly in those parts of the charts marked ''unsurveyed" and he went everywhere on his forward seeking sounder and radar.He swore by it. He then showed me the best setting for the depths and distances ahead that we were interested in and we then spent some time getting used to analysing the little dots that appear on the screen.Lots show up that are not anything solid--fish, violent currents etc but when there is a rock you can see it clearly. I would not rely on it at above 2-3 knots ( he uses it at up to 8 when he has current pushing him). We spent three seasons in the Chilean canales and now use it more than we did before we arrived there.
It also has the added advantage of being a second echosounder should your main one pack up.
Our Scope is from 2000. They may have improved them since then.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000009ukm/direct/01/