From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ian & Judy Jenkins
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 12:13 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Coppercoat

I have written before of my interest in Coppercoat and have now taken my
enquiries further. Olivier Beaute hadn't heard of it and asked whether the
content of copper was sufficient to cause any electrolysis problems. The
manufacturers in the UK ( very ready correspendents) assured me that the
issue had never arisen with the thousands of boats already treated.
I tracked down four businesses in the UK that put on Coppercoat. The most
enthusiastic was Paul Hockey of Symblast ( Southampton)who races and has
Coppercoat on his own boat. He would sandblast the existing antifouling back
to the gelcoat, taking the iron keel back to bare iron. He would then paint
the iron keel with four coats of CorroTech low solvent aluminiumised epoxy .
The hull would then have a single coat of solvent free epoxy followed by
four coats of Coppercoat ( itself an epoxy with 18% copper powder).
Blasting the hull and keel clean would take about 3 hours and the rest of
the work would be completed within two weeks, weather permitting.
Cost? about £4,800 + VAT at 17.5% ( ie about US$10,000 all in)
Life? At least ten years in his experience. ( and then presumably you would
not have to go to the intial lengths described above before you added more
Coppercoat)
Quality? Paul has never seen a barnacle on Coppercoat. A layer of slime can
appear after a few months but that easily brushes off if you are
swimming--no high pressure hosing etc.
If anyone else wants to do it in the UK , please avoid using Paul in the
last two weeks of August 2009--that's our slot!It is aavailable pretty well
everywhere except Sweden (and probably California , where I expect before
long it will be forbidden to even put a boat in the water....)
We shall return to Trinidad in November knowing that we are about to paint
on antifouling for the very last time! Yippee!!
Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302.

http://clk.atdmt.
<http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/>
com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/

Dave_Benjamin

A local yard used to do that system and stopped after a few years. I
don't think the stuff was lasting much longer than a good high
quality paint. I'm also not convinced it would pencil out
financially. There's so many other reasons you have to haul a boat
other than for bottom paint. Cutless bearing replacement, thru-hull
maintenance, shaft work, and a lot of other things can create the
need for a haulout. For me it's just not that big a deal doing a
bottom job every two or so years. The Maramu we just bought had not
been painted in about 3.5 years and it looked surprisingly good for
old paint.

One question I'd ask before going with Coppercoat is if the boat can
be hauled and left out of the water for a period of time in case you
do need to haul for maintenance or to get the boat out of the water
for hurricane season. I know some paints can't be exposed to air for
more than 48 hours without needing a recoat.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Ian,

I believe a friend of mine used this on his 66 foot Hylas.

Do you have a link to the website? I would like to ask him if this
is what
he used. I know he had to have his bottom redone after 3 years.

Fair Winds,

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

[...]

Thanks, Dave, I believe there have been a number of versions of this product over the years, not all successful, but clearly there are owners who have had excellent results which is why the company I have approached is now able to boast some big manufacturers who use their product.
You make a good point about how long the boat can be hauled, which I will check, but from my understanding of the product it is inert and therefore should not be affected by being out of the water. The guy I will use to apply the product ( I hesitate to call it a paint) leaves his boat ashore for the winter.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/

Eric Freedman

Hi,

I clicked on the link and got Indiana Jones.

Is he doing boat bottoms now?

[...]

Hi Ian,

please click on the link here it connects to Indiana jones.