From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Roy Duddy
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 08:21
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] SHARKI furling motor

Listmates,

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Thanks Tom.

I appreciate that.

Roy

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Fisher, Thomas W.

Ron,

If your going to keep the electric furling unit. You might want to check the seals on the gear box. At least the small one on the drive shaft. The whole unit is surprisingly easy to disassemble. The seals are cheap and easily found. I ordered a couple spares and can easily get the numbers for those also if you like.

Tom

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Tom,

I intend to continue to use the electric furler once I resolve the motor
issue. I didn't check the voltage on the unit. I assume it is 12 volts.
Is that correct or is it 24 volts? Anything you can offer is greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Roy

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Fisher, Thomas W.

I know mine is 12volt. Most likely yours is!! It should be controlled through a set or relays in the slide door storage, port side in the Vberth.

Tom

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Tom,

I hate to be an absolute idiot, but do you know of a means by which one
can be sure?

Roy

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Fisher, Thomas W.

Roy,

There are a couple of ways.

Check the specs on the motor.... that's out.
Check if any of your batteries are wired in series or if you have any form of 24V power source on your boat.
There is a wiring diagram for the Sharki. Contact Amel and they will send it to you. They might even be able to answer your questions over the phone if you get the correct person.
I would think a repair shop would be able to tell as well but they might have to tear it apart first. I'm not sure about that. The Original motor on mine still worked but I had it overhauled (new brushes, etc. ) It was no problem to have done.

Good luck!!

Tom

I hate to be an absolute idiot, but do you know of a means by which one
can be sure?

Roy

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

amelforme

It is a 12 volt motor for certain .

All the best,
Joel F. Potter

Joel F. Potter - Cruising Yacht Specialist, LLC
Amel's Sole Associate for the Americas
Mailing Address: 401 East Las Olas Boulevard #130-126
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Phone: (954) 462-5869 Fax: (954) 462-3923
Email: jfpottercys@att.net

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Thanks Joel.

I don't suppose you know the model number. It is a Bosch. I can make out part of the number but not all of it. It is a series wound motor with brushes and an armature, approx. 5/8" shaft diameter that has a 1/8" x 5/8" woodruff key and a threaded portion that appears to be ½" x 13 thread approx. 9/16" long.

Roy

Joel F. Potter - Cruising Yacht Specialist, LLC
Amel's Sole Associate for the Americas
Mailing Address: 401 East Las Olas Boulevard #130-126
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Phone: (954) 462-5869 Fax: (954) 462-3923
Email: jfpottercys@att.net <mailto:jfpottercys%40att.net>

amelforme

Roy ,Unless it is completely destroyed or solid with rust ,I am all but
certain that any good automotive/truck starter and alternator repair shop
could easily replace the consumable components and it would be as good as a
new one for !/5 the cost of a new one ,if you can still find a new one
.Additionally ,any good marine shipyards' electrical shop will find it easy
to rebuild this motor for you .They are really very simple .Even I can do it
and have .

All the best,
Joel F. Potter

Joel F. Potter - Cruising Yacht Specialist, LLC
Amel's Sole Associate for the Americas
Mailing Address: 401 East Las Olas Boulevard #130-126
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
Phone: (954) 462-5869 Fax: (954) 462-3923
Email: jfpottercys@att.net

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Thanks Joel,

It is at a shop now. What I want to do is obtain a back-up and keep it
aboard. I plan on leaving for an extended trip to the Bahamas and ????

I have taken photos of the motor and hope to obtain a new one shortly.

Roy

[...]

David and Hazel Worthington <spritoaffine@...>

I wonder whether anyone can help me with a Sharki question. I notice
that play has become very apparent in the bearing behind the steering
wheel and ahead of the steering rack. I imagine this is due to years of
coping with the quite violent movements made by the Neco autopilot. Is
this bearing easily accessed? is it easily replaced? I imagine it to be
nylon but have no information, has anyone tackled this job?
Thanks David Worthington
Sharki 148

Fisher, Thomas W.

Hi David,

I have not. But I would be very interested in hearing the how you deal
with the problem, the repair etc.

Good luck,

Tom
"SHEILA", Sharki #142
Kingston, Ont. Can

Tom Fisher RRT.
Research Associate,
Asthma Research Unit,
Queen's University,
Kingston General Hospital,
(613)549-6666 ext.2798 or 2645

________________________________

From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
I wonder whether anyone can help me with a Sharki question. I
notice
that play has become very apparent in the bearing behind the
steering
wheel and ahead of the steering rack. I imagine this is due to
years of
coping with the quite violent movements made by the Neco autopilot.
Is
this bearing easily accessed? is it easily replaced? I imagine it
to be
nylon but have no information, has anyone tackled this job?
Thanks David Worthington
Sharki 148

David and Hazel Worthington <spritoaffine@...>

Alan
Thanks for your info. I am not on the boat at the moment so I am
anticipating this being a winter job. I will keep you posted on
progress if any
Cheers
David

Fisher, Thomas W.

Hi Roy,

I haven't forgot about that motor number. Well not entirely true. I didforget to check the last time out but I keep trying to remind myself to look and write down for you. Sorry for the delay.

Tom

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Roy Duddy <RDuddy@...>

Good morning Tom,

Thanks for the follow-up. Do you know how to disengage the electric
furler so that the unit can operate manually?

Roy

Sharki #123

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Fisher, Thomas W.

Roy,

On ours there is a leaver located externally on the port side of the gearbox. It is normally held in place by a cotterpin. If you remove the pin and rotate the leaver 180 degrees. You may have to give the furler a slight twist by hand to allow the gear to disingage. That's about it.

Tom

Does anyone know the specifications/Model number of the 12 volt electric
furling motor on 1985 Sharki. Mine got wet and I want to replace it. Or
in the alternative has anyone installed a roller furling unit?
Recommendations?

Thanks.

Roy Duddy

175 Route 101

Bedford, NH 03110

603-472-8500

603-472-7333 Fax

Fisher, Thomas W.

Hi Roy,

I finally remember to have a look at the spare furling motor I have. Unfortunately it was a useless exercise as there were no markings of any type on it no names and no numbers. It appears the same as the one I am currently using. I'm not even certain this one works so it was a good opportunity to bring it home and test it out. Sorry!!! I wish I could have been of more help. Did you manage to get yours fixed and if so what was wrong, were the parts available, etc.

Tom