Cleansing fresh water tanks

John and Anne on Bali Hai <annejohn@...>

Hello Barry, welcome to the site and congrats on getting Fairwinds 111
which we first met up with in New Cal in 1998 or 9 when it was being
sailed back to Oz by its owner, a very successful engineer from Perth,
who has since acquired a 54 and sailed it back.
If you put my subject heading in the Search box it should take you back
to some early advice on a very thorough cleaning method or cheat by
putting Msg Nos 1363 and 4 in the other box.
I have never been so thorough and we never take on shore water as we
can make 160 ltrs per hour with the watermaker. After seven years we
thought there was a musty taste so we put a lot of bleach into a fairly
full tank and went sailing to slosh it around before emptying it out
and refilling with desalinated water. I think that the chlorine
vanishes after about a couple of weeks but anyhow the important thing
is not to let chlorinated water anywhere near your watermaker as it
will destroy the membranes PDQ.
Where are you based, we visit Perth and Sydney around New Year
sometimes?

Good luck, Anne and John, SM319

seagasm <seagasm@...>

Thankyou for your assistance, I have read the post and will give it
the shock treatment recommended. John, our SM is Tradewinds III and
not Fairwinds. We purchased her from Ron and Heather Brown whose berth
we have the use of for a month while we prepare her. They purchased
her from WA and may well be the person you speak of. We are currently
on the Gold Coast down from Brisbane. Thankyou again for your help.

Regards Barry

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "John and Anne on Bali Hai"
<annejohn@...> wrote:

[...]

-

Hello again Barry,
Mental abberation, I did of course mean to say Trade Winds III.
Good luck with the bleach. Anne and John SM 319

<annejohn@> wrote:

[...]

joseph mc donnell

Hi Barry just curious, have you had a look in the water tank, Im sure
there is the same access, in your case under fridge, as there is in
ours, a Santorin under the sink. I had to re attach the float to the
dip stick last year and was suprised with what had collected there
over the years. If its the same sort of tank the internal gelcoat
wall it may help to give it a wipe down.

Regards Joe Mc Donnell

<annejohn@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi John, we are still in the marina berth having work done on the
boat. This being the case, we are unable to flush the tank out since
it is classed as a marine sanctuary. We are having Tradewinds
re-rigged and a new soft dodger made, something I can actually stand
beneath without stooping. I will post pictures once finished.

Regards, Barry and Robyn
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "joemac4sail"