Rép. : [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: rivets in furler

Serge Tremblay <laetitiaii@...>

Last spring, after refurbishing all my furler mechanisms (changing bearings, oil seals and gaskets, cleaning the motors etc...) it became apparent that the headstay, while less than 10 years old  needed to be replaced.

Monel rivets had been used initially in the extrusions.

The experienced rigger at Caraibes Gréement in Martinique convinced me that the better method for joining the aluminium extrusions is that of using set screws and not rivets, screws are used in Profurl, Harken and even Scheafer furlers.

My first reaction was that since popular commercial furlers are sold for after sale installation, il seemed more economical and practical to offer a set screw system than a large and costly heavy duty rivet tool with which not everyone is familiar. Also Chantiers Amel  would certainly not use a system which is not the most reliable!!!

In my case, the use of a drill to eliminate the old rivets still holding, had, in some cases, increased the size of the entrance hole in the extrusion, thus would have required larger rivets.

Moreover, the rivets must, because of the bead retaining same from popping out, be protruding inside the connectors joining the 2 meters or so aluminium extrusions and therefore,  they could, if the connectors are not (as it was the case on my boat) sufficiently isolated from rubbing on the stay by the plastic or graphite inserts, touch the head stay. As a result, a strand of the the stay could be affected but also the damaged rivets could pop out  whenever the headsail is unfurled or taken down ...

Even without a few rivets or screws, the furler can be used, but it seems to allow for seriously damaging the furler, as indicated by Mr Gateff (the CEO of Gateff Sails, one of Amel sail manufacturer), either just above the furler motor, or at the end of the first extrusion
(approx. 2 m from deck).

Finally, whether monel rivets or SS set screws, one must apply the yellow anti corosion paste, and, Loctite cement on the top of set screws.

Serge,

Mango #51

Obtenez l'adresse de courriel parfaite: @ymail.com or @rocketmail.com. Obtenez votre nouvelle adresse maintenant à http://cf.new.mail.yahoo.com/addresses.

Patrick McAneny

Upon looking at my furler again today,I see that the previous owner had done
what was suggested to you.He apparently tapped the furler and screwed a
stainless set screw in 3 of the existing holes.I have about 3 rivets in place and
about 3 or 4 vacant holes.Now the question is , should I adopt the set screw
solution or use rivets.Earlier someone wrote that the rivets should be aluminium
or should they be monel, any opinions.

**************
AOL Search: Your one stop
for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search Now.
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.
aol.com/2008/11/04/happy-holidays-from-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

Patrick McAneny

Richard, I was told that the monel rivets would not be a problem with
aluminum and would be stronger.Do you agree with that .I will probably leave the
s.s set screws in, because the holes were drilled out to 3/8'' and so far no
corrosion. Diane earth goggled where you guys are, looks well protected and
picturesque.

In a message dated 11/12/2008 7:08:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
richard03801@yahoo.com writes:

HI, given that the you have an aluminum element you should use an aluminum
rivet. If you can take the SS set screws out and replace them with the rivets.
You'll do better with this solution over the long haul.
good luck. Richard SM 209

--- On Mon, 11/10/08, _sailw32@aol.sai_ (mailto:sailw32@aol.com)

From: _sailw32@aol.sai_ (mailto:sailw32@aol.com) <_sailw32@aol.sai_
(mailto:sailw32@aol.com) >
Subject: Re: Rép. : [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: rivets in furler
To: _amelyachtowners@amelyachtowname_
(mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com)
Date: Monday, November 10, 2008, 6:37 PM

************
AOL Search: Your one stop
for directions, recipes and all other Holiday needs. Search
Now.
(_http://pr.atwola.http://pr.atwhttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.atwolahttp://pr.http://pr.atwolaht_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212792382x1200798498/aol?redir=http://searchblog.)
aol.com/2008/ aol.com aol. aol. aol.com/ aol.com/200

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

HI, given that the you have an aluminium element you should use an aluminium rivet. If you can take the SS set screws out and replace them with the rivets. You'll do better with this solution over the long haul.
good luck. Richard SM 209

Upon looking at my furler again today,I see that the
previous owner had done
what was suggested to you.He apparently tapped the furler
and screwed a
stainless set screw in 3 of the existing holes.I have about
3 rivets in place and
about 3 or 4 vacant holes.Now the question is , should I
adopt the set screw
solution or use rivets.Earlier someone wrote that the
rivets should be aluminium
or should they be monel, any opinions.

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

Hi, given that the holes are that big I'd do the same... I am not a big fan of using different metals together. And max strength is not at at issue here so long as we do a good job with the rope used to hold down the sail. I use 3/8" StaSet and put at least on wrap around the roller to hold the sail to it, then run 3-4 rounds to thread it to the roller base. that has not failed me and takes the load off the rivets..

Yes Porto Vecchio is a well protected and we think it is about a good as we can get in the Med. Price is 2600 EU for everything. That is better then anyplace we checked. Turkey we 4600... We have been there when the wind in Straight is over 30 and not a wave inside.. it is great. There is shoping in walking range and a number of good places to eat.. then there is the old time gym to workout in.. I am down 30# Joan keeps me move'n.
Enjoy you turkey day.. keep in touch and fair winds.
Richard and Joan on Challenge

From: _sailw32@aol.sai_ (mailto:sailw32@aol.com)
<_sailw32@aol.sai_
(mailto:sailw32@aol.com) >
[...]