From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of airbus4russ
Sent: samedi 29 novembre 2008 01:19
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Deck Construction

Can anyone tell me how the decks of earlier Amels (70's) were
constructed, please? Were they balsa cored? Has anyone had major leak
or rot problems. Thanks.

Hans-Joachim Schröder <Achimschro@...>

HI,

I had / adn repaired major leakage problems in the deck area of my Amel Kirk build in 1973 due to poor maintenance of the previous owner. The Balsa core had turned into a wet sponge.

If you want to check use a humifity meter as used for osmosis prevention. Check areas where deck gear has been installed later and probably by non-experts.

Regards

Joachim

Can anyone tell me how the decks of earlier Amels (70's) were
constructed, please? Were they balsa cored? Has anyone had major leak
or rot problems. Thanks.

ladyannila <kanalmamman@...>

As the current owner of the SM with hull no 232, we will just say
thank you for the information of the deck construction.

Regards
Ann-Sofie and Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila
SM 232

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Boucharlat"
<jean.boucharlat@...> wrote:

To the best of my knowledge in the late 70's and early 80's Amel
used to
build both types of decks, balsa cored and straight FRP. The balsa
cored
decks used to be an option for better insulation and they called it
"Tropical" or something similar. In 1981, I ordered a Maramu,
delivered in
October of that year, with the balsa core option. Later on, they
standardized production to balsa cored decks only and this is how
my (1998
model, hull 232), and all other, SM's came.

In order to know if a particular boat of that period was cored or
FRP only
you would probably have to check directly with the yard, they keep
excellent
records.

Jean Boucharlat