From: eric freedman <kimberlite@optonline.net>
Subject: [Amel] Heaving to Super maramu
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, December 2, 2008, 12:49 AM
I am wondering how many people have had to heave to in
storm/hurricane
force winds and what configuration you used in these seas?
fair winds
eric
sm 376 KimberliteI

Giovanni TESTA

Hi Richard,
heaving did you fix the rudder? and if yes, how ? ..and the Autohelm heaving and running ?
thanks for your info
....fair winds!
Giovanni TESTA
EUTIKIA SM2K 428

From: drdavegoodman <drdavegoodman@gmail.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 7:47 PM

Hey Richard
When you say you used a "short" headsail and short main, can you be a
little more specific. For example, did you use a storm headsail over
the regular headsail, or merely use a furled headsail. If furled,
approximately how many rolls, or perhaps what percentage length?
Thanks
Dave

Richard Piller <richard03801@...>

to fix the rudder you remove the steering arm from the rudder post, take out the plastic nut remove the old packing and put new packing in and tighten the nut good and tight as the packing will compress quickly and you will most likely have to tighten thenut again.

As far as using the autopilot to hove two you do not... you turn the wheel full to the wind and tie it off there.  then go have a coffee and set the watch so you do not get run over.

regards from Richard and Joan on Challenge