amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Giovanni:

When the low pressure pump starts and water comes out the thru hull on the
port side that indicates that the pump is putting out water flow. The water
maker will make water and the high pressure pump will usually operate ok
WITHOUT the low pressure pump.

However, the high pressure pump is sensitive to cavitation or air bubbles. It
isn't very good at sucking water, just pushing it. That is why you have the low
pressure feed pump to help prevent air bubbles entering the high pressure pump.

At any rate it sounds as if your low pressure pump is operating ok and I believe
that you have an indication problem. Either the gauge is bad, plugged, or the
tubing to the gauge is plugged.

I suggest that you undo the B-nut on the back of the low pressure gauge that
attaches the blue tubing to the gauge and check to see if you have any
obstructions in the orifice that enters the gauge. If it is clear then place the
blue tube into a bucket to catch any water and start the low pressure pump
in the normal fashion and see if you have water low thru the blue tubing. If
there is no flow then check the input side of the blue tubing to see if there is an
obstruction. Just break it down into its individual parts and trouble shoot
each item.

An air bubble in the blue tube would not cause the indicator error you are describing.
Air, while it is compressible, will still transmit pressure to the gauge. It might
dampen the reading but it would not cause a zero reading. You can check the
gauge using compressed air by rigging up a hose to apply regulated air pressure
to the input nipple of the gauge. Before you do that do the simple things noted
above first.

Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Gary

Giovanni TESTA

HI Gary and to all,
thanks for help, I have copy of your documentation , very useful !
Well, when I start, after few seconds I see the water going out. After a while the HP starts and so it is possible to have fresh water with the restricor valve.
The LP gauge remains red. No allarm.
Is it possible that the water is flowing out with the LP pump not working ? I think no. Is it possible the HP pump works without LP pump? Again no ?
So may be a little air bubble along the blu tube and gauge?
This is the first time I use the Dessalator after 5 monthes. The last time I used it no problem, but again last year when I start for the first time the LP gauge remained on red, then slowly using it others times the arrow went on green. !?
last time I used the Dessalator for 30 ", no problems. Green , good water.
Is it possible to manally check the gauge ?
thanks so much
Giovanni
EUTIKIA SM2K 428

----- Original Message -----
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 3:11 PM
Subject: [Amel] Re: Dessalator

Hi Giovanni:

Regarding your post : " At the start the low press gauge doesn't mark green and remains on red, but after 2
minutes ca the HI press starts and it is possible to regulate the Restrictor valve and to have fresh water. No
allarm. It seams all working properly, also the Low P."

To trouble shoot this problem I suggest the following:

1. While you are in the engine room next to the low pressure pump, have your
assistant start the watermaker. After approximately 20 seconds you should hear
the low pressure pump start. Approximately 90 seconds later you will hear the
high pressure pump start.

2. Once the low pressure pump starts (if it does) and prior to the high pressure pump starting, look over
the side of the boat and see if sea water is flowing out the thru hole on the port side.

If the low pressure pump fails to start it could be due to:

A. Tripped circuit breaker for the BP pump (located in the electrical box on the back
side of the water maker which is accessible from the port lazerette , see my water maker picture folder)
or
B. Bad control relay on the the circuit board in the electrical box (again, see the photos in the Watermaker
Service Folder)
C. Bad ganged relay in the electrical box.

You can manually set the ganged relay, thus bypassing the control relay, by using the small lever on the
front of the ganged relay (see Photos). If manually setting the ganged relay with its lever causes the low
pressure pump to run, then the control relay or its circuitry is bad. Write back for instructions on how to
wire a manual override like Richard suggested.

If the BP pump Circuit Breaker is ok and the ganged relay clicks and the pump doesn't run then you have
a bad pump (most likely)

If the pump runs, you have sea water out the side of the boat, but you still don't show feed water pressure
at the panel then you have a faulty gauge.

Check to see if the gauge is leaking or the fluid in it is discolored or cloudy. You can obtain a new gauge
from Amel by emailing Olivier Beaute at sav at amel dot fr , as I have done so. Dont' bother trying to have
Dessalator ship directly, it is a nightmare. They don't have any expertise in shipping or handling purchases
internationally.

The gauge is removed by removing the three screws on the faceplace, then unscrewing the gauge
from the rear of the panel using a wrench. The gauge merely screws into a brass manifold. These
are typical European non-NPT (National Pipe Thread) threads. That is they are not tapered pipe
threads and therefore are difficult to seal. When installing the new gauge you will need to seal the
threads with something, 3M5200 does NOT work.

Hope this helps, let us know what your finding are.

Gary Amel SM Hull # 335

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
Controllato da AVG - http://www.avg.com
Versione: 8.0.176 / Database dei virus: 270.10.2/1876 - Data di rilascio: 05/01/2009 9.44