Chain counter

Dear Anne and John,
On 7th May last you emailed details of the website where a replacement chain counter sensor could be bought ( www.ifm.info)
Can I assume that you bought one and fitted it? If so, can you tell me if you have the black display unit or the later , grey, unit? And do you happen to know if the sensor works with both?
Pochon in Guadeloupe reckoned he could see the little LED light working on my existing sensor and that therefore it must be the display unit that was bust ( a black one) but he looked in sunlight and I have subsequently looked after dark and there is no light on the sensor, so I am hoping for a quick fix.
Cheers, Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Deshaies
Choose the perfect PC or mobile phone for you
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/130777504/direct/01/

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hello all:

My chain counter ceased to work the day before we arrived in Guadeloupe. I sought
out Laurent but was referred to Pochon where they were very helpful. Mine has the
Black display. They asked if my LED was on in the sensor and I wasn't even aware
of this LED. As you know you can look into the side of the sensor housing on the
windlass and if the sensor is working there should be an orange LED lighted.

Mine was not so I purchased a new sensor from Pochon ($US 271.00 with the Euro
to US$ at 0.65 Euro per 1 US$). The two bolts that hold the aft housing on the
windlass are easily removed and once having undone the wires that feed into the
housing I was able to use a sharp screwdriver to work the sensor out of it's
housing. It is only held in place with a 1 inch wide band of RTV (silicone seal)
around the mid-portion of the sensor. The new sensor was installed with the
same rather diminutive amount of RTV and aligned so that the LED could be seen
in the hole in the side of the mounting housing and with the forward face flush
with the housing cutout. Voila, the chain counter works again.

I understand from Pochon that this is a 12 volt device and remains on at all times
with virtually no current draw. If the display is bad the new gray one is about
750 Euros. Pray your display doesn't go out.

I will try and post some photo's later.

Best regards,

Gary Silver
Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335