Head discharge hose clogged with calcification

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

I searched and searched because I remember someone describing how they solved the problem I have, but I could not find the posting.

One of our heads stopped discharging. I removed the prox 1" hose that is the discharge hose from the maceration pump and found it partially clogged with calcification. I also removed the prox 2" diameter 10" long hose that the 1" hose connects to and found it completely blocked with calcification.

The metal brass or bronze pipe that the 2" hose connects to is also blocked with calcification. The hoses are removable/replaceable and easy to take care of...the pipe has got me!

I was able to remove a considerable amount of calcification from the pipe with various screwdrivers, but it is still blocked.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe SM2 #387

Miles Bidwell <mbidwell@...>

Once you get the old build up mostly cleared, and you might find a rotating
plumber's wire useful, putting about four liters of pickling vinegar through
the toilet once a month should keep everything clear. I have used this
method with no further problems for over six years.

Miles Bidwell, SM 216, LADYBUG

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes, I know about flushing time and vinegar, etc. The original buildup probably occured with the original owner.

My specific problem is:

With the large diameter hose removed, I cannot seen to dislodge the build up in the downward facing brass/bronze pipe. Since this is downward facing, it does not lend itself to acid.

Additionally, I do not know the configuration of this brass/bronze pipe. For instance does it go straight into the holding tank, or does it have an elbow. Knowing this will determine the amount of force it use and the type of tool.

Has anyone dealt with this situation?

All replies will be very much appreciated.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe SM2 #387

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

I made a "special tool" out of a piece of rigging wire...connected to an electric drill...it worked.

I will post photos later.

Bill
S/V BeBe, SM2 #387

My specific problem is:

With the large diameter hose removed, I cannot seen to dislodge the build up in the downward facing brass/bronze pipe. Since this is downward facing, it does not lend itself to acid.

Additionally, I do not know the configuration of this brass/bronze pipe. For instance does it go straight into the holding tank, or does it have an elbow. Knowing this will determine the amount of force it use and the type of tool.

Has anyone dealt with this situation?

All replies will be very much appreciated.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe SM2 #387

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Is the "downward facing brass pipe" you are talking about, the one that comes out the bottom of the holding tank and goes to the valve and then overboard?

If this is the one your are referring to, then, with the valve open, use a long wooden dowel from the outside of the boat to transit the valve and dislodge the blockage within the pipe.

I am surprised that the vinegar didn't work to dissolve the crystals. If you should try this experiment again, try it using fresh water to see if that will dissolve the crystals. I have increasingly used fresh water from the shower head to do the final flush (final of three flushes after each use). I don't know if this helps but we are now eight years old and haven't had any problems (fingers crossed).

Good Luck Bill, Gary

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

We did not know we had a problem with calcified deposits in the Aft head discharge line until it clogged completely.

The first indication that the hoses were calcified happened when I pulled on the 25mm hose and heard a cracking.

I removed the 25mm hose from the back of the toilet and pulled it through the lower shelf area. I loosened the hose clamp on the 38mm hose and removed it from the bronze pipe at the base of the holding tank. Both hoses were completely calcified. I replaced the hoses and thought it was repaired. I reconnected everything, but it was still clogged with absolutely no discharge flow. I found the bronze pipe completely calcified.

This is a real problem to remedy because cleaning the bronze pipe will get the wool-lined storage area filthy. I had a shop vac nearby and started with my first cleaning tool which was a piece of 1" stainless tube that I cut teeth into one end and plugged the other end with a cork. This was a tough job and required lots of muscle power, but the tool worked and I cleared about 1 foot of the bronze pipe. Unfortunately my "tube-tool" was not long enough so I made my second tool out of a 2 foot length of stainless rigging wire. I crimped a small tube on one end leaving about 1 ½" of wire which I spread apart. On the other end I connected my electric drill. In a few minutes the job was complete. I shampooed the wool lining and put everything back together…works great. I am surprised at how much better it works than before.

Click on "Large" for the best view.

Best,

Bill
S/V BeBe - SM2 - #387

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

I solved our aft head calcification problem and performed the same service on our fwd head. I have added photos, a sketch of the holding tank and the steps I followed in servicing these heads to the photo album titled "Head Service."

I deleted my one previous photo in this album.

Click on "Large" for the best view.

Best,

Bill
S/V BeBe - SM2 - #387

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill,

I had the same problem. I went to Home Depot and rented a small hand held drain snake, not the variety on the drum, but instead the type that is fairly short and attatched to a crank handle. With this device I was able to "break through" the blockage. I would recommend putting some masking tape over the wooden cutout frames to avoid scratching them.

I would also recommend sending a similar slightly longer device up the discharge side from the outside of the boat.

After I cleared as much of the blockage as I could I shut off the seacock and filled the holding tank with a mxture of fresh water and septic tank cleaning solution. I let it soak for a day or so and then opened up the seacock while at the same time flooding the holding tank with fresh water via the pump out opening.

Hope this helps.

John Abercrombie
SM 391