From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Craig & Katherine
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:28 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Re:Head discharge hose clogged with calcification and
vinegar as a solution

Hi Kent,
Yes, muriatic acid is the answer! We pour about a liter in each head evry
couple or three weeks. Let it bubble up nice and brown - overnight is best -
then just flush it down. We are now 8 years on our hoses and no problemo!
Ciao, Craig

Craig Briggs

I just did a quick "Google" on Muriatic Acid and it seems it's just another name for Hydrocloric Acid.

I'm buying it for 80 eurocents a liter at the grocery store here in Sicily and it's labeled: "Contiene: Tra 5-15% ACIDO CLORIDRICO." Don't know the "Tra 5" part, but I'd guess it's a 15% solution of hydrocloric acid.

And I do just pour it in full strength, although it certainly mixes a bit with the water in the toilet and hose and becomes somewhat more diluted.

I've also gotten it inexpensively in hardware stores where it's sold as "brick cleaner".

It, of course, is strong stuff with bad fumes to be used with caution - I'm reminded of the old ditty: "Johnny was a chemist's son, now Johnny is no more; what Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4."

Ciao, Craig
aboard "Sangaris" - Santorin #68