Maramu vs SM

ericmeury <ericmeury@...>

anybody out there with solid experience on the older Maramu's (not sm)...i've seen a few on the net, some with the bow thruster some with out.

I'm thinking with my budget i probably can only afford the older Amel Maramu and because it is less than 50ft it will be a cheaper rate on the dockage.

Any systems known to be a problem. I heard that the bow thruster seals leak on the older boats, but that could be just the guy that doesn't have one trying to sleep at night.

anybody have an anboard air compressor for diving. (that might be a good discussion on a seperate post)

Storage issues as there is no rear "garage"

thank

Ken & Judy <goldendaze@...>

Ken and Judy on Golden Daze, 1985 Maramu #192 with no bow thruster.
I wish we had one. We are currently in Turkey. All Med marinas are
stern to, and in a cross wind it is hard to control the bow, one must
walk the bow line up the deck to secure the bow. A thruster would be
a big help, as the helm person can control the bow while the other
handles the lines.
Our perkins 4-154 has 5800 hours and has been perfect. Trans Atlantic
Diesel in White Marsh VA has all parts and service. We added a
Phasor 6K genset with 2 cyl kubota engine. We have done lots of other
additions including new refer/freezer, stove and corian sink and counters.
The original refer is worthless, so plan on a new setup of some kind.
The original freezer is great. We use as a refer when hauled out as
our new refer has a keel cooler.

I think the mast is far to heavy on the early models with in mast
furling. We removed the masts to paint and rewire, etc. and replace
the furler bearings. Having such a heavy mast makes the boat tender
in a cross breeze when moored, and also heels a bit more. However
we do like the furling sails and seem to be moving along nicely with no
battens. And don't have to go on deck in stinky weather (we fully
enclosed the cockpit).

The fuel tank is on the starboard side, so you never sit exactly plumb,
except when fuel is at the right point.

The prop shaft alternator slows us down enough that we don't use it,
we have a wind generator and solar panel on our arch as well as the gen,
and 2 large alternators on the perkins (only one belted up at a time).
Would have more solar panels and no wind gen if doing over.

We have sailed the SM as well and like our Maramu better for just the
two of us.

Our friends with a SM have had some problems with the U drive system.

We like the two settees in the main cabin, as we can lay back to watch
TV movies. We mounted the TV on the cabin ceiling in a babinga wood
box that folds down from the cross beam.

Email if you have questions.

Ken Coats, Judy Golden

marinmeccanica <marinmeccanica@...>

Saw a mention in the Cruisers & Sailing forum on this video about the construction of the older Amels that you may be interested in.
http://blip.tv/file/1746815/
KR

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "ericmeury" <ericmeury@...> wrote:

anybody out there with solid experience on the older Maramu's (not sm)...i've seen a few on the net, some with the bow thruster some with out.

I'm thinking with my budget i probably can only afford the older Amel Maramu and because it is less than 50ft it will be a cheaper rate on the dockage.

Any systems known to be a problem. I heard that the bow thruster seals leak on the older boats, but that could be just the guy that doesn't have one trying to sleep at night.

anybody have an anboard air compressor for diving. (that might be a good discussion on a seperate post)

Storage issues as there is no rear "garage"

thank

c_fruendt

I also in comparison of two Amels Maramu and Santorin, actually i like the maramu because the systems are simpler, like cutlass bearing, sometimes they have normal battend sails,( no in mast furling) and not so much electrical motors. A bowthruster could be installed.

What i do not like at the Maramu is that the cockpit seems to be small especially there is only on full lenght settee where you can lay and sleep, but the starbord side is much smaller.

Also onyl a few have a real double in the aft cabin so here you might have to change the nice wood interior .

Hello Maramu owners: am i right ?

This is much better on the santorin but also more costly.

Ken & Judy <goldendaze@...>

In Golden Daze, Amel 192 the previous owner changed the bed to a
"L". Other than the makeup table (or whatever) it is one big bed.
We can sleep either way. Mattress flips over at the original underbed hinge
point. Works great, no disturbing wood.
kc/jg

karkauai

Is Golden Daze a Maramu or SM? Do you have a pic?
Thanks,
Kent
"Kristy" SM243