From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of svbebe
Sent: 15 December 2008 15:25
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Re: Downwind System

Jeff,

The book adequately describes what to do and it takes doing it several
times before you will feel comfortable. For a portion of our sail
from Isla Margarita to Bonaire on our way to Cartagena we had the dual
headsails rigged and achieved 12kts with the wind directly behind us.
Although we had owned BeBe for some time we discovered that the GPS
had a high speed alarm and it was set for 11.5kts! On a passage from
Bora Bora to Tonga we experienced a dead-downwind sail with the dual
headsails rigged for 5 days without touching a sheet and without
dropping below 7.5kts. We arrived a day before other who were unable
to sail dead downwind.

We almost always rig both poles before long passages. The long pole
has a hook which hooks on the stainless life rail. To keep the pole
from scratching the life rail we cut a 12" piece of a swimming noodle
and sliced it so that it snaps over the life rail and fits between the
life rail and the pole when the pole is hanging on the life rail.

To use the poles (2 crew member process), rig them per the book then:
1.) remove the sheet from the sheet car and run it outside all of the
pole lines back to the large sheet block securing the bitter end to
the sheet winch.
2.) one person unhooks the pole from the life rail as the other raises
the pole about 18" cleating the up guy to its winch on the mast
3.) one person pulls the blue line while the other person pushes the
pole outward.
4.) the person who pulled the blue line now cleats it to the deck cleat.
5.) now raise the pole to its final position by winching the up guy
until the pole is horizontal and all of the pole lines will tighten if
you cleated them at the marked spots in the first place.
6.) pull the slack out of the sheet and rig and cleat the sheet for
use on the sheet winch.
7.) set the sail to about 1 meter from the end of the pole.
9.) enjoy

It gets much easier as you repeat the process.

If you are at Club Nautico please say hello to John and Alberto.

Best,

Bill & Judy
s/v BeBe #387 SM2 #387
svbebe "at" gmail.com
currently Auckland, New Zealand

--- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>
yahoogroups.com, "rapp.jeffrey"
<rapp.jeffrey@...> wrote:

We have owned "Antares" SM2K 378, for about a year, so we are relative
newbies(we did own a Maramu 48 20 years ago, but she was a simpler
boat). I am embarrassed to admit that we have never used the downwind
system, because putting it up seems daunting.
We have received spoken instructions from Ray Eaton, and read the Amel
manual, but we are still unsure. We have also practiced putting up the
poles, but without the sails. It seems like a lot of work on deck when
out to sea.
Is anyone willing to provide detailed, step by step instructions,
designed for the relatively ignorant, from start to finish? Also, from
reading postings on other subjects, I gather some of you actually rig
the poles in advance of needing them, leaving them rigged and
presumably secured on deck somehow. If so, could you please include
instructions on this aspect of the procedure.
We are currently in Cartagena,Colombia, a wonderful town. Don't miss it.
Thanks in advance
Jeff
"Antares"

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Ivan,

I was describing poling-out the genoa to the Port side. However, you do
not use the sheet cars when either foresail is poled out.

The Ballooner is rigged to Starboard. You can remove the starboard
genoa sheet and use it; or, we use the sheet supplied by Amel for the
mizzen ballooner. Always rig the Port side genoa before rigging the
starboard ballooner.

Setting the Ballooner to Starboard
1. Point the boat with the wind coming from the Starboard quarter
2. Set the starboard pole like I described in setting the port pole including the ballooner sheet set through the block at the end of the pole and not through the car.
3. Take a turn with the sheet on the sheet winch near the end of the sheet…locking it so that you do not lose the bitter end
4. Engage the end loop the ballooner halyard in the ballooner guide slot and set the other end of the ballooner halyard (the end with a small piece of line and shackle) through the same end loop. This creates a "continuous-loop halyard" and allows you to pull the end loop free of the ballooner guide after the ballooner guide has "clicked" into position on the swivel.
5. Turn the furler so that the starboard groove is facing the main mast
6. Place the ballooner bolt rope in the outside (starboard) groove on the furler.
7. One crew guides the bolt rope while the other hoists the ballooner.
8. Hoist until you hear the ballooner guide "click" into position on the swivel. We sometimes have to take a turn on a winch to get the ballooner guide to "click" or lock on the swivel and we rarely hear the click. You will know it is locked when it will not come down
9. Secure the ballooner's tack by tying it to the block on top of the furler (the block you would use if the furler motor failed…painted gray on our boat)
10. Slacken the ballooner halyard…if it is "clicked" onto the swivel, it will not come down.
11. Now pull down on the ballooner halyard removing it from the ballooner guide and secure the halyard…this is important…if you try to furl the head sails with this still attached, you will have some serious problems.
12. Point the boat with the wind coming directly astern and set the ballooner sheet to about 1 meter from the end of the pole.
Recovering the Ballooner:
1. Point the boat with the wind just behind the starboard beam (about 115 degrees) and let out about 5 meters of starboard sheet. Note: This point-of-sail causes the ballooner to fall against the port-side genoa as it falls down rather than falling into the water.
2. Untie the tack.
3. One crew member stands in the starboard sail locker to retrieve the ballooner…he must be prepared for the ballooner to come down very fast
4. Another crew member hoists the ballooner de-hooker mouse in the center track using a "continuous-loop halyard" to "un-click" or disconnect the ballooner guide from the swivel. You will probably have to take a turn on the winch and use a winch handle to un-click it
5. The "sail locker" crew member grabs the falling sail as fast as possible while stuffing it into the locker. You will be surprised how fast it comes down!
6. If you have three crew members, the third person could control the speed of decent by holding the bolt rope near the furler groove and slowing decent.
7. Do not forget to secure the ballooner halyard and ballooner de-hooker mouse or you will have serious problems if you try to furl the genoa.

Notes: You can furl both head sails together by slacking both sheet winches and furling.
You can also tack one sail into the other, assuming your sheets are long enough. I would not recommend running with sails tacked into one another for a long period as I assume there would be some chafing. Amel says to douse this double downwind rig when winds exceed 20kts True.

Sheet should be 21 meters of 16mm, unless you would want the ability to tack the starboard ballooner inside of the port genoa. If so, use 24m.

Best,

Bill
s/v Bebe, SM2, #387
Currently Mackay Australia

The

sheet you mention removing from the sheetcar is this the genoa sheet or is a
different sheet rigged for the ballooner? If it is a different sheet can
someone let me know the approx. length since there isn't one on my Santorin.

Ivan Campbell <i-campbell@...>

Thanks Bill

The boat is in Alcudiamar Marina in Mallorca and we go out on 1st July to
sail east. I will try the system then. You have been very helpful

Regards

Ivan

Ocean Hobo