Trojan 200 vs Trojan 225 Batteries for Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335


amelliahona <no_reply@...>
 

Hi everyone:
It has come time to replace my house batteries. I have no source for a Group 31 deep cycle battery with flush caps and a SS threaded stud placement that will allow me to utilize the copper tie bar between the positive and negative post for the series (24 volt) set up in my boat.

The AC Delco 1150 batteries originally fit measure 13 inches long x 6.825 inches wide x 9.5 inches tall to the top of the threaded stud and have a flush top that allows the 2x4 beam on the bottom of the bunk top to fit against the tops of the batteries:

Replacement options (i.e. available to me in Antigua) are:

1. Trojan SCS225 measuring 13.94 (almost 14 inches long) x 6.75 inches wide x 9.875 inches tall to the top of the stud

OR

2. Trojan SCS200 measuring 12.75 inches long x 6.75 inches wide x 9.75 inches tall to the top of the stud.

Neither layout of the studs will allow me to use the existing interconnect bars. I will have to have fabricated interconnect cables. Additionally I am concerned that the 2x4 hold down beam may not clear the filler caps on the top of the batteries.

Has anybody out there fitted either of these batteries to an Amel SM2000 of approximately my vintage (delivered July 2001, Hull # 335) and can tell me about their experience.

Thanks to all, Gary


asm283 <no_reply@...>
 

HI Gary

I have SM#283 I replaced my batteries with the SC 225. They fit fine but I had to have new interconect leads made. But otherwise no problems and I got a few extra amp hours.

Vito

ASM 283

Bay of Islands NZ

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi everyone:
It has come time to replace my house batteries. I have no source for a Group 31 deep cycle battery with flush caps and a SS threaded stud placement that will allow me to utilize the copper tie bar between the positive and negative post for the series (24 volt) set up in my boat.

The AC Delco 1150 batteries originally fit measure 13 inches long x 6.825 inches wide x 9.5 inches tall to the top of the threaded stud and have a flush top that allows the 2x4 beam on the bottom of the bunk top to fit against the tops of the batteries:

Replacement options (i.e. available to me in Antigua) are:

1. Trojan SCS225 measuring 13.94 (almost 14 inches long) x 6.75 inches wide x 9.875 inches tall to the top of the stud

OR

2. Trojan SCS200 measuring 12.75 inches long x 6.75 inches wide x 9.75 inches tall to the top of the stud.

Neither layout of the studs will allow me to use the existing interconnect bars. I will have to have fabricated interconnect cables. Additionally I am concerned that the 2x4 hold down beam may not clear the filler caps on the top of the batteries.

Has anybody out there fitted either of these batteries to an Amel SM2000 of approximately my vintage (delivered July 2001, Hull # 335) and can tell me about their experience.

Thanks to all, Gary


svbebe <yahoogroups@...>
 

Gary,

DC Battery in Miami http://www.dcbattery.com shipped 13 batteries to us while we were in Bonaire via AmCar Freight services. I am not sure if AmCar serves Antigua. The transit time was about a week and the pallet was delivered to the dock alongside our boat. The delivery driver even handed each battery over the rail to me. Total freight cost about $260.00.

We bought Fillriver Group31's from them. They fit well...modifications included shortening some of the copper straps and cutting 2 notches in the 2" deminsion piece of mahogony under the battery compartment lid. I had not planned on cutting this and you should consider this in your measurements.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2 #387
Mackay Australia

So far the 110 amp Fullriver Grp31's have performed well.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi everyone:
It has come time to replace my house batteries. I have no source for a Group 31 deep cycle battery with flush caps and a SS threaded stud placement that will allow me to utilize the copper tie bar between the positive and negative post for the series (24 volt) set up in my boat.

The AC Delco 1150 batteries originally fit measure 13 inches long x 6.825 inches wide x 9.5 inches tall to the top of the threaded stud and have a flush top that allows the 2x4 beam on the bottom of the bunk top to fit against the tops of the batteries:

Replacement options (i.e. available to me in Antigua) are:

1. Trojan SCS225 measuring 13.94 (almost 14 inches long) x 6.75 inches wide x 9.875 inches tall to the top of the stud

OR

2. Trojan SCS200 measuring 12.75 inches long x 6.75 inches wide x 9.75 inches tall to the top of the stud.

Neither layout of the studs will allow me to use the existing interconnect bars. I will have to have fabricated interconnect cables. Additionally I am concerned that the 2x4 hold down beam may not clear the filler caps on the top of the batteries.

Has anybody out there fitted either of these batteries to an Amel SM2000 of approximately my vintage (delivered July 2001, Hull # 335) and can tell me about their experience.

Thanks to all, Gary


usrey_chuck
 

Hello Gary

After having the same problem finding exact replacements and also having premature failure of the house bank I switched over to another option. I replaced the 12 volt freedom batteries with 6 volt wet cells from Trojon. I spent a lot of time talking with the factory reps at the Trojon company and they said that because the plates of the 6 volt batteries are so much thicker that they will last much longer. Also, the AMP rating is a little over twice what you get from a 12 volt so your usable AMP hours go up a little.

I was not able to use the copper straps to tie the batteries together so I had short cables made for me and used them instead. These were easy to come by and any shop should be able to produce them. The wood bracket on the underside of the lid does a good job of holding them in place but the ones on the bottom of the compartment did have to be moved a little for everything to fit right.

I have had these wet cells onboard for a little over two years and they work great. The time between charging and discharging is almost the same as when they were new. One draw back is the need to check the water level from time to time and add some when it gets low but this has not been a big problem.

I know that there are a lot of different opinions about sticking with Amel's design and also about wet cells but for me this option has worked very well.

Best of luck
Chuck
S/V Helen Louise
ASM 350

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi everyone:
It has come time to replace my house batteries. I have no source for a Group 31 deep cycle battery with flush caps and a SS threaded stud placement that will allow me to utilize the copper tie bar between the positive and negative post for the series (24 volt) set up in my boat.

The AC Delco 1150 batteries originally fit measure 13 inches long x 6.825 inches wide x 9.5 inches tall to the top of the threaded stud and have a flush top that allows the 2x4 beam on the bottom of the bunk top to fit against the tops of the batteries:

Replacement options (i.e. available to me in Antigua) are:

1. Trojan SCS225 measuring 13.94 (almost 14 inches long) x 6.75 inches wide x 9.875 inches tall to the top of the stud

OR

2. Trojan SCS200 measuring 12.75 inches long x 6.75 inches wide x 9.75 inches tall to the top of the stud.

Neither layout of the studs will allow me to use the existing interconnect bars. I will have to have fabricated interconnect cables. Additionally I am concerned that the 2x4 hold down beam may not clear the filler caps on the top of the batteries.

Has anybody out there fitted either of these batteries to an Amel SM2000 of approximately my vintage (delivered July 2001, Hull # 335) and can tell me about their experience.

Thanks to all, Gary


amelliahona <no_reply@...>
 

Thanks Vito:
Just to confrim with you a couple of things:

1. Since the SCS225 Trojan Battery is almost one inch longer than the AC Delco
batteries that were fit by Amel, please verify that the extra length doesn't
interfere with anything in the battery box.

2. Does the 2x4 fit correctly between the water filler caps without having to
modify it?

3. Did you have to do anything special with the battery handles?

4. Did you shorten the Amel copper interconnect bars to fit between the
posts or did you have new cables made to tie the + to -posts together?

5. Has your boat been located in regions that are as hot as the Caribbean
and how often do you have to service the batteries with water?

6. What year was you Amel SM manufactured and how long have you had
your Trojan SCS225 batteries?

7. Are you pleased with the Trojan's as far a holding a charge etc.?

Thanks for the additional details.

Gary

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, asm283 <no_reply@...> wrote:

HI Gary

I have SM#283 I replaced my batteries with the SC 225. They fit fine but I had to have new interconect leads made. But otherwise no problems and I got a few extra amp hours.

Vito

ASM 283

Bay of Islands NZ


asm283 <no_reply@...>
 

Hi Gary

The SC225 fit snugly but did not need any modification to my battery compartment. I have hull # 283 and have room for 9 batteries. I did not use the copper bars. I had new interconnect cables made. I also had to remove the straps from the battery and had to redo the the pieces of wood that are used for wedging. But otherwise that was it.

My current set of 225 have lasted 4 years and are due for replacement. I like the trojans because despite my best effords I have not been able to kill them. I have run then totally flat and I have overcharged them to the point of having to bail out the battery compartment of water. despite all the abuse they have continued to work. I service them every 2 weeks while cruising and I am carefull most of the time to insure that they are properly charged and not run down.

I would be intrested if anyone comes up with a way of seperating the battery bank into 2 banks. I have also read that having too many batteries in series reduces the life and efficiency. The downside that I see here is having to run the generator more oftem as you would have less amp hours available.

Has anuone priced these. They are quite expensive here in New Zealand.

Hope this helps

Vito
ASM 283

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Thanks Vito:
Just to confrim with you a couple of things:

1. Since the SCS225 Trojan Battery is almost one inch longer than the AC Delco
batteries that were fit by Amel, please verify that the extra length doesn't
interfere with anything in the battery box.

2. Does the 2x4 fit correctly between the water filler caps without having to
modify it?

3. Did you have to do anything special with the battery handles?

4. Did you shorten the Amel copper interconnect bars to fit between the
posts or did you have new cables made to tie the + to -posts together?

5. Has your boat been located in regions that are as hot as the Caribbean
and how often do you have to service the batteries with water?

6. What year was you Amel SM manufactured and how long have you had
your Trojan SCS225 batteries?

7. Are you pleased with the Trojan's as far a holding a charge etc.?

Thanks for the additional details.

Gary

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, asm283 <no_reply@> wrote:

HI Gary

I have SM#283 I replaced my batteries with the SC 225. They fit fine but I had to have new interconect leads made. But otherwise no problems and I got a few extra amp hours.

Vito

ASM 283

Bay of Islands NZ