[Amel] Perkins Prima 50

Ric <ric@...>

Good sense would suggest engine survey, then get list of work to be
done including "timing". My sn24 built in 1990 runs strong and most
everyone can repair & Maintain.

On Jul 23, 2009, at 5:07 AM, "GrahamJohnston42" <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com
> wrote:

We are hoping to buy a Sharki in the next week, we have a choice of
two both of which have the Perkins Prima 50 fitted.
I have read both good and bad comments with regard to these
engines.THe bad being the high price of parts and poor quality wiring.

Has anyone got any experience with the Prima 50, any comments would
be appreciated?

Regards
Graham

Robin Cooter <robincooter@...>

Hi Graham,

We have a 1989 Santorin with a Prima 50.   It is now approaching 5000 hrs and starts first time, even after a winter lay up, uses 0.25 ltr oil every 100 hrs, runs at about the right temperature.   We have had problems with oil and fuel leaks ALL of which were the result of engine parts working loose, eg. the mechanical lift pump nuts worked loose and oil seeped out from the rocker box.   All these were fairly easily fixed by me.   Some problems with injectors as they got old and some wireing problems- i.e. electric stop failed and it needed to be stopped manually (lever on injector pump) but I guess that is par for the course after 8 years of our use.   I did worry about the age of the engine and talked to Perkins.   They asked if it started ok, did it smoke a lot, did it burn oil and did it use cooling water or overheat.   When I said no to all the questions they said that at around 7000 hrs I might need to have major work done on it!
In fairness it is well looked after with regular checks and maintenance and has never gone more than 200 hrs without an oil change, now down to 100/150 hours or every season if less.  (Highly recomended by every engineer I've ever talked to).   It is also easy to work on with all major parts being accesible.  Spares are reasonably priced if purchased in England and just about everything is still available.   Another plus point is that the same engine was badged as a Volvo (An MD? - I can't remember the exact number) so that if you are stuck for parts in some remote place with no Perkins agent you may be able to get Volvo parts, they are more expensive though.
Bottom line - it's not a bad engine.

Regards,

Robin Cooter,
Santorin 004.

We are hoping to buy a Sharki in the next week, we have a choice of two both of which have the Perkins Prima 50 fitted.
I have read both good and bad comments with regard to these engines.THe bad being the high price of parts and poor quality wiring.

Has anyone got any experience with the Prima 50, any comments would be appreciated?

Regards
Graham

Lars H. Knudsen <museum@...>

Hi Robin

Having the exact same engine I have experienced the same problem with the
electrical Stop-bottom.

Can you tell me what that problem turned out to be caused by?

Was it the bottom itself or the Diesel-stop-valve on the motor?

I’m still having trouble finding the cause…

Cheers,

Lars

Santorin Salvagny #79

From: GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com
<mailto:grahamjohnston42%40yahoo.com> >
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, 23 July, 2009, 10:07 AM

We are hoping to buy a Sharki in the next week, we have a choice of two both
of which have the Perkins Prima 50 fitted.
I have read both good and bad comments with regard to these engines.THe bad
being the high price of parts and poor quality wiring.

Has anyone got any experience with the Prima 50, any comments would be
appreciated?

Regards
Graham

GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com>

Ric,
Thanks for the reply. I will be having an oil analysis done ect. but having no experience of this particular motor.
Ragrds
Graham

wrote:
We are hoping to buy a Sharki in the next week, we have a choice of
two both of which have the Perkins Prima 50 fitted.
I have read both good and bad comments with regard to these
engines.THe bad being the high price of parts and poor quality wiring.

Has anyone got any experience with the Prima 50, any comments would
be appreciated?

Regards
Graham

GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com>

Hi Robin,
Thank you for your comprehensive reply.
It is good to know that your engine is still fine a 5000 hours I have owned the 4108  which was a great motor but have no experience with the Prima and have just read a few comments that are negative.

Thanks again having people comment who have experience with the motor is really useful.

Regards
Graham

We are hoping to buy a Sharki in the next week, we have a choice of two both of which have the Perkins Prima 50 fitted.
I have read both good and bad comments with regard to these engines.THe bad being the high price of parts and poor quality wiring.

Has anyone got any experience with the Prima 50, any comments would be appreciated?

Regards
Graham

Robin Cooter <robincooter@...>

Hi Lars,

I could not sort this myself so had an engineer in to do the work.   As I remember it, and it was several years ago, the problem was in the electrical wireing and some of this was replaced in the area around the injector pump.   Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards,

Robin Cooter
Santorin 004, Belouga.

From: GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@ yahoo.com
<mailto:grahamjohns ton42%40yahoo. com> >
To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com
<mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>
Date: Thursday, 23 July, 2009, 10:07 AM

We are hoping to buy a Sharki in the next week, we have a choice of two both
of which have the Perkins Prima 50 fitted.
I have read both good and bad comments with regard to these engines.THe bad
being the high price of parts and poor quality wiring.

Has anyone got any experience with the Prima 50, any comments would be
appreciated?

Regards
Graham

Lars H. Knudsen <museum@...>

Hi Robin

Thanks. Ofcause we can’t go around and remember every technical problem and solution over the years but I think your memory is correct as I would guess it is in the electrical system. But anyway – better to have trouble stopping it than starting it…!

Regards

Lars

Santorin Salvagny #79

From: GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@ yahoo.com
<mailto:grahamjohns ton42%40yahoo. com> >
To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com
<mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>