MAST WIRING

karkauai

Hi, all,
I hope you are all well and having a great summer.

When I got on the boat in Galveston I was told that the masthead lights had been checked and were working properly by the guy who restepped and rigged the masts after she was trucked to Galveston. Unfortunately we soon discovered that the tricolor was not working when the first night out a passing boat said they "couldn't see our green". I thought I could see light coming from the masthead, but it looked white. When I turned on the anchor light, nothing. I've been using the running lights since then until I could go up the mast to check the bulb, and using the steaming light as an anchor light. On the way up from Charleston my crew turned on the tricolor, and again it looked white. I asked a passing boat what they saw, and they confirmed it was the anchor light that was burning. Now I think that when the boat was recommissioned the wiring was reconnected wrong, but when I look at the wiring as it connects to the bus above the bulkhead door, everything looks correct. The bus and wiring is all clearly marked, and all red wires are connected to the appropriately labled posts on the bus. The black wire labeled "blanc" (is that a French thing?)is attached to the same post as the red one marked "blanc", and the white wire labeled "tricolor" is attached to the same post as the red one marked the same. There are two unmarked brown wires attached to the posts marked "projecteur" and "hune", and all the blue wires and a green one (which runs with the black and white ones)are all attached to the far starboard post.....whew. Does that sound right to you?

I'm wondering if there is another place where there may be connections which could have been done incorrectly, or if there are fuses somewhere that could be keeping the anchor light switch from turning on the tricolor if the wiring is marked incorrectly?

As always, thanks for your help in advance.
I'll send a ? about the fridges under separate topic in the interest of keeping topics separated.

Kent Robertson
Kristy SM 243

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Kent:

Let's start here:

European wiring color codes:

Wire Color = Yellow/Green = Protective earth or bonding wire, goes to rudder zinc.
Wire Color = Blue = AC neutral or DC negative
Wire Color = Brown = AC line voltage or DC positive voltage
Wire Color Red = usually means DC positive
Wire Color Black = usually means DC negative

Use a multimeter and measure DC volts between the various buss posts and a ground
as you turn on and off the various breakers (e.g. tricolor,steaming light, and anchor
light). This will verify that the buss posts are properly labeled.

It really sounds like the wires for the tricolor and anchor lights are swapped and your
tricolor bulb is burned out at the masthead.

" The bus and wiring is all clearly marked, and all red wires are connected to the
appropriately labled posts on the bus."

I don't think you can assume this. Verify it using a multimeter.

" The black wire labeled "blanc" (is that a French thing?)is attached to the same post as
the red one marked "blanc", and the white wire labeled "tricolor" is attached to the
same post as the red one marked the same."

Blanc means white in French. It isn't clear to me if this is the anchor light but Projecteur
is probably the steaming light or possibly the foredeck light. A little detective work
with your multimeter will tell which one.

" There are two unmarked brown wires attached to the posts marked "projecteur" and
"hune"," I don't know what Hune means, I can't find it in any of my dictionaires.

" and all the blue wires and a green one (which runs with the black and white ones) are
all attached to the far starboard post.....whew. Does that sound right to you?"

all the blue wires are DC grounds aka negative and are appropriately tied together.

" are fuses somewhere that could be keeping the anchor light switch ..." No fuses unless
someone has tinkered with the original wiring.

Get your multimeter out, measure between each buss terminal and the ground (negative)
terminal while you cycle the various breakers.

Good Luck. Gary Amel SM 335

karkauai

OK Gary, here goes:
All the posts in the bus give 24v readings when switch for light as labeled is on, 0v when off. When I disconnected the wires attached to the posts and measured across the two wires from each post, the white wire (clearly marked tricolor) and the red wire marked "blanc" gave a 24v reading when the anchor light breaker was on, and no reading when it was off. I put those two wires on the "blanc" post and now the anchor light is working correctly when its breaker on the 24v panel is on. "Clearly" the white wire goes to the anchorlight and not to the tricolor. I guess they switched them at the masthead? I KNEW the white wire should have been marked "blanc" (-:

The steaming lite (marked "hume") works correctly, as does the forward deck light (marked "projecteur").

Although the tricolor buss post is marked correctly and gives a 24v reading when the tricolor breaker at the 24v panel is on, I couldn't get a reading between the red wire marked "tricolor" and the black wire marked "blanc" when the breaker was on. I was able to get a 24v reading between the red wire and ground, but only a brief 3-4v reading between the black wire and ground that lasted a fraction of a second then dropped to zero. What should I expect if the bulb is burned out?

I also got a 24 v reading when the tricolor breaker was on, between the red tricolor wire and both brown wires that go to the steaming and deck lights, but nothing lit up at the masthead when I connected the red tricolor wire and one of the brown wires to the tricolor buss post. I don't understand why I got a reading when both of those wires are supposed to be DC positive, but since I did have juice between those wires but no tricolor light, I'm guessing that confirms that the bulb is dead, or could it be that there's a wire disconnected at the masthead? If the weather is OK tomorrow I'll go up the mast and see about changing the tricolor bulb.

Any suggested reading about basic marine electrical stuff like this?
Thanks again, Gary.
Kent
Kristy SM243.

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

[...]

I think you are making progress:
I am a bit confused about what is hooked to what at this point. I will attempt a
diagram

Breakers ..... Wire Color ... Post Label... Wire Color to Load...... Load

Anchor Light----- Red -------- Blanc ------- red - ---------- Anchor Light (+)

Steaming Light ---Red -------- Hune-------- brown ----------Steaming Light (+)

Deck Light ------Red ------- Projecteur------brown ----------- Deck Light (+)

Tricolor --------Red ----- --- Tricolor ------ ?red? -----------Tricolor (+)

Ground --------Blue ----- --- ?? Label ------- Blue = 1- Steaming Light (-) all
tied together with :
2-Blue = Deck Light (-)
3-Blue = Tricolor (-)
4-Black = Anchor Light (-)

IS THIS YOUR SETUP?

If not make the appropriate changes and send it back.

I believe the label "blanc" isn't referring to the wire color but rather "anchor light"

When measuring voltage measure between the hot side and the ground terminal.

I presume that each pair of wires to the various loads is in a sheathed cable, or are
they each individual wires? If they are in pairs (sheathed) just trace each pair for a
(+) and (-) wire to each load terminal post. Is it possible that you have a LED
anchor light at the masthead?

PS if your masthead unit is AO similar to mine then there is a retaining/locking ring
at the base that you rotate and will be able to lift the lens assembly off to check the
bulbs.

Best, Gary