From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Martin
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:35 AM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel] Downwind sailing with a 54

I would be interested to receive feedback from other 54 owners in
particular, and other Amel owners in general, as to your experience with
trade wind, downwind, sailing and what other sail plan options that you may
have tried.

Unlike earlier Amel yachts the 54 does not have the Amel twin headsail
option, relying on the genoa, a single bearing out pole and a light weight
(15kts max) genaker.

We are usually sailing with only the two of us aboard and our options are
limited in respect of spinakers and the like, given the problems and risks
involved in handling in rising winds.

Regards,
Martin Bevan
Caduceus - Amel 54 No 56 2007

Martin <yachtcaduceus@...>

Thank you for your reply. This sounds just what we are looking for. Can you help with a specification of what you have and the maker that you used? Alos is this a furlable sail?

Regards,
Martin Bevan
Caduceus - Amel 54 No 56 2007

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Martin,

We purchased a heavy gennaker and sail it in 30 knots true down wind.

On crossing we had it up for 7 days straight.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____

I would be interested to receive feedback from other 54 owners in
particular, and other Amel owners in general, as to your experience with
trade wind, downwind, sailing and what other sail plan options that you may
have tried.

Unlike earlier Amel yachts the 54 does not have the Amel twin headsail
option, relying on the genoa, a single bearing out pole and a light weight
(15kts max) genaker.

We are usually sailing with only the two of us aboard and our options are
limited in respect of spinakers and the like, given the problems and risks
involved in handling in rising winds.

Regards,
Martin Bevan
Caduceus - Amel 54 No 56 2007

eric freedman

The sail is 1 ½ ounce made by Doyle sailmakers. About 1500 square feet.

I also had a bow sprit made to put the tack of the headsail about 18 inches
forward of the forward rail.

--- In amelyachtowners@ <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>