question about impellers

eric <ericmeury@...>

any body have any advise about pulling and replacing the impellers on the volvo engine.

1. how often does one need to replace it and is there a special procedure/tool for replacing the impreller. I'm on a amel now and we are going to change the impeller before we head out. Ours "looks" fine but are thinking we should change it.

Thanks.

Craig Briggs

Eric - Assuming you're talking about the raw water pump impeller and although you don't say how old the impeller is, I'd suggest you simply follow the maintenance interval recommendation in the owner's manual. No special tools needed - the manual probably shows a picture of how to remove, prying gently with two screwdrivers (just be careful of the pump housing.) Sounds like you haven't removed the old one, so your "looks fine" observation may be from looking at the impeller in place - you would need to remove it and inspect by gently flexing each blade back & forth to see if there are any cracks forming where they attach to the core. However, this is a relatively inexpensive part, so if you're near the recommended change interval just put in a new one.
Cheers, Craig s/v Sangaris; Santorin #68

joseph mc donnell

Hi Eric

With your question you raise a number of others, namely

Which raw water pump is on your engine
How old is it ( is it the original unit)
When was it last serviced (seals replaced)
Does it leak ( when running)
Do you have a spare service kit or two
Is there any visable wear on the inside of the pump

As Craig said, its a good idea to stick to the recomendations in the service manual, particularly if you are not to familiar with the pump.
But these are some of the things you should considering when you are inspecting the pump.
Check and see if you can get your hands on the Workshop Manual for your engine, you will find it invaluable. You should also be able to get detailed drawings of your pump on the web by typing in the make and model number.

Regards Joe McDonnell

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "eric" <ericmeury@...> wrote:

any body have any advise about pulling and replacing the impellers on the volvo engine.

1. how often does one need to replace it and is there a special procedure/tool for replacing the impreller. I'm on a amel now and we are going to change the impeller before we head out. Ours "looks" fine but are thinking we should change it.

Thanks.

svultimathule <icoop@...>

Hi Eric,

Once a year - puller tool available at West Marine or other chandelry, - Note direction of blades - Install with vasaline if necessary.

Peter