From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Vicente Pereda
Hernandez
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] 8 HP OUTBOARD ENGINE

Hello everybody, I have a new outboard 8 hp engine in my Supermaramu
(AILAMA). I am looking for a procedure to put the engine in the dingy
by myself. It weight 40 Kg and I do not Know the proper procedure to
do it. Does anybody Know the procedure?.
THANKS in advance
VICENTE PEREDA
SM 107 AILAMA

07:34:00

Vicente Pereda Hernández <VPEREDA@...>

Thanks Dimitris, I have clear the procedure to do it with two persons
but the idea is to handle it only one person and in my understanding
should be made from the dingy and this is the problem.
VICENTE

El 23/02/2010, a las 13:53, Dimitris Krassopoulos escribió:

I have the same engine on my SM2000. The best is to attached to
rings on the
metal side of the motor so you can hang the motor from there is very
helpful. The second is to find in your boat the rope with two inox
shackles
that you put on the rings on the motor and you put the put through
the two
rollers on the mizzen boom. The end of the rope has a small loop and
you
attach this to the halyard used for the passarele by this way you
can pull
up the motor with the winch and release it to the dinghy by moving
the boom
over the dinghy and lower the motor. It is better to try the procedure
without swell. I put a rope from the back of the dinghy to the boat
to fix
it alongside the side of the boat.

Hello everybody, I have a new outboard 8 hp engine in my Supermaramu
(AILAMA). I am looking for a procedure to put the engine in the dingy
by myself. It weight 40 Kg and I do not Know the proper procedure to
do it. Does anybody Know the procedure?.
THANKS in advance
VICENTE PEREDA
SM 107 AILAMA

02/23/10
07:34:00

Horst Pause <horst.puddleduck@...>

I have always lowered my outboard on my own. I undo the mizzen sheet at the traveller and lower the motor with that, controlling the mizzen sheet from the dinghy. Very easy, and it even works in a bit of a roll. Horst

________________________________

Hello everybody, I have a new outboard 8 hp engine in my Supermaramu
(AILAMA). I am looking for a procedure to put the engine in the dingy
by myself. It weight 40 Kg and I do not Know the proper procedure to
do it. Does anybody Know the procedure?.
THANKS in advance
VICENTE PEREDA
SM 107 AILAMA

02/23/10
07:34:00

joseph mc donnell

Hi Vicente
In any conditions your 4 stroke is a heavy engine to handle even with a second person. Would you consider a second option. We have a small Susuki 2 stroke engine as back up and it is much lighter and easier for one person to handle. We have a 3.10 meter dingy and the
2 stroke pushes it along just fine.
Regards Joe
Khamsin B

rossirossix4

Horst,
Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate on this? Where do you run the sheet exactly?

Bob

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Horst Pause <horst.puddleduck@...> wrote:

I have always lowered my outboard on my own. I undo the mizzen sheet at the traveller and lower the motor with that, controlling the mizzen sheet from the dinghy. Very easy, and it even works in a bit of a roll. Horst

________________________________

Hello everybody, I have a new outboard 8 hp engine in my Supermaramu
(AILAMA). I am looking for a procedure to put the engine in the dingy
by myself. It weight 40 Kg and I do not Know the proper procedure to
do it. Does anybody Know the procedure?.
THANKS in advance
VICENTE PEREDA
SM 107 AILAMA

02/23/10
07:34:00

Horst Pause <horst.puddleduck@...>

Hi Bob,
First hoist the mizzen boom end with its topping lift. Then I open the fasteners of the motor on the wooden board and attach the lower block to the top of the engine. Now take the free end of the sheet down to the dinghy, lift the motor and swing it out. Lower it to the dinghy transom and close the fasteners. Re-do the mizzen now or wait until you lift the motor back up again.

Horst

________________________________

____________ _________ _________ __

Hello everybody, I have a new outboard 8 hp engine in my Supermaramu
(AILAMA). I am looking for a procedure to put the engine in the dingy
by myself. It weight 40 Kg and I do not Know the proper procedure to
do it. Does anybody Know the procedure?.
THANKS in advance
VICENTE PEREDA
SM 107 AILAMA

02/23/10
07:34:00

Vicente Pereda Hernández <VPEREDA@...>

OK I will try to check the control of mizzen from the dingy look likes
to me the more suitable option being alone.
Thanks for the help
VICENTE

From: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com
Hello everybody, I have a new outboard 8 hp engine in my
Supermaramu
(AILAMA). I am looking for a procedure to put the engine in the
dingy
by myself. It weight 40 Kg and I do not Know the proper
procedure to
do it. Does anybody Know the procedure?.
THANKS in advance
VICENTE PEREDA
SM 107 AILAMA

02/23/10
07:34:00

karkauai

Ahoy, Maties,
I've read with interest this discussion, and looking at my mizzen boom, the attachment of the block at the boom is several feet forward of the end of the boom which lines up with the outboard attached to the rail. It looks like if I were to lift the motor from the current attachment on the boom, it would slide the motor down the rail before lifting it off. Do you move the eye where the mizzen sheet attaches to the boom down to the end where it will line up, or just use it where it's attached just above the traveler?
Thanks,
Kent
"Kristy" SM243

Horst Pause <horst.puddleduck@...>

On the Maramu, the block is attached almost at the end of the mizzen boom, so there's no big problem. I have, however, on occasion put a sling ove the end of the boom if I needed to lift something to clear the side.

In your case, just move it to the boom end.

Horst

________________________________
I've read with interest this discussion, and looking at my mizzen boom, the attachment of the block at the boom is several feet forward of the end of the boom which lines up with the outboard attached to the rail. It looks like if I were to lift the motor from the current attachment on the boom, it would slide the motor down the rail before lifting it off. Do you move the eye where the mizzen sheet attaches to the boom down to the end where it will line up, or just use it where it's attached just above the traveler?
Thanks,
Kent
"Kristy" SM243

karkauai

I just lifted my 15 HP Honda 4 stroke using a sling over the end of the boom and the main boom preventer.  It's 5 to 1 mechanical advantage worked like a charm with the cam cleats holding the motor after I hoisted it up to the rail.  I used the mizzen preventer to hold the boom in position.  A little different than Horst's solution, but worked well on the SM.
Kent

I've read with interest this discussion, and looking at my mizzen boom, the attachment of the block at the boom is several feet forward of the end of the boom which lines up with the outboard attached to the rail. It looks like if I were to lift the motor from the current attachment on the boom, it would slide the motor down the rail before lifting it off. Do you move the eye where the mizzen sheet attaches to the boom down to the end where it will line up, or just use it where it's attached just above the traveler?
Thanks,
Kent
"Kristy" SM243

assistanttoblackdog <atwaterfour@...>

Kent,

I'm curious as to if the rail on your SM seems strong enough to support the weight of your 15 h.p. 4-stroke outboard, or do you store the motor someplace else?

Best,
Jim
former SM 251
future SM tbd

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

I just lifted my 15 HP Honda 4 stroke using a sling over the end of the boom and the main boom preventer...

Vicente Pereda Hernández <VPEREDA@...>

Hi Kent, I am sure that it support the weight of a 15 hp engine. But
if you are no convince on it try to hang yourself on it and you will
discover that nothing happen.
VICENTE
AILAMA SM107

<karkauai@...> wrote:

I just lifted my 15 HP Honda 4 stroke using a sling over the end
of the boom and the main boom preventer...

karkauai

Hi, Jim,
There doesn't seem to be any evidence that the rail is insufficient to support the engine.  I've kept it on the rail since I got the boat a little over a year ago.  Having said that, I'm going to replace that engine with a 10 HP 2 stroke engine when the coffers are replenished because of it's weight and the difficulty of manhandling it and getting Honda parts in the Caribbean.  I have a second 6HP 4 stroke engine that I keep as a spare in the aft locker.
Kent
"Kristy"
SM243