Security grill for main hatch

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Martin:

I am in the process of building the security bars as depicted by Moon Dog. On
my Super Maramu the groove into which the companionway hatch slides up
and down measures 0.4375 inches wide (fore and aft), by 0.59 inches deep
(depth of groove the bars can slide in) and each side is 30.5 inches tall
(top of frame to the cross bar on the sliding hatch in the fully down
position). So I made my bars out of 3/8 inch by 1.5-inch aluminum
bar stock.

Aluminum is quite expensive but stainless would have been too heavy and
probably more expensive.

My error was in not realizing that the opening is NOT SQUARE. In other words
the security frames need to be not rectangular but trapezoidal in shape. That
is, the frames need to be "racked" a bit the vertical sides parallel and the
top and bottom sides parallel but the sides not at 90 degrees to the bottom
and top.

I would recommend making a template out of cardboard or similar material
to get the exact angle that the hatch board makes with the sides (grooved)
portion of the companionway frame. I welded up the assembly to be exactly
square but had to grind off about 1/4th inch of the bottom of each frame
along a bevel to match the companionway opening so that they would fit
properly.

In summary my frames measure 24.75 inches wide, and overall top to
Bottom they are 30.5 inches tall (the overall height of both pieces added
together).

I plan on welding on a bracket with a deadbolt sliding type lock that will
fit the hole in the hatch cover that the Amel lock slides into.

Best regards, Gary Silver,
s/v Liahona
Amel SM #335

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Martin" <yachtcaduceus@...> wrote:

I am looking for advice from any member who has constructed a security grill for the main hatch.

The intention is to be able to leave the main companionway open to allow night time ventilation at anchor but secure it against unwanted "guests".

Regards,

Martin Bevan
Caduceus Amel 54 #56

Martin <yachtcaduceus@...>