[Amel] Security grill for main hatch

john martin <symoondog@...>

Look under the folder of photos on this site called "Moon Dog." The security grills (2 pieces) are made from 1/4 x 1 inch flat aluminum, they have to be made in two parts to clear the dodger. Also note the stainless steel bars on all hatches. I have been using these bars on my boats for over 35 years, even on my beloved Chesapeake Bay in the US. It always amazes me how a person would not think of going to sleep at night in his hometown without locking all doors and windows, but will come to a strange, poor, third world country and go to sleep with the front door wide open. John "Moon Dog" SM248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: yachtcaduceus@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:50:45 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Security grill for main hatch

I am looking for advice from any member who has constructed a security grill for the main hatch.

The intention is to be able to leave the main companionway open to allow night time ventilation at anchor but secure it against unwanted "guests".

Regards,

Martin Bevan
Caduceus Amel 54 #56

Martin <yachtcaduceus@...>

Thank you that was just what I was looking for.

Can you advise how you secure the horizontal sliding hatch when the security grills are in position? I can see some other photoghraphs that might be what you use but cannot ascertain the technioque used.

Regards,

Martin Bevan

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: yachtcaduceus@...
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:50:45 +0000

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: yachtcaduceus@...
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:50:45 +0000

I am looking for advice from any member who has constructed a security grill for the main hatch.

The intention is to be able to leave the main companionway open to allow night time ventilation at anchor but secure it against unwanted "guests".

Regards,

Martin Bevan
Caduceus Amel 54 #56

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469230/direct/01/

john martin <symoondog@...>

Hi Martin

I put a barrel bolt in the forward corner of the sliding hatch and drilled a hole in the bottom of the hatch for the bolt to go into. If the burglar was smart or curious and had a flashlight, he could probably realize this was there and reach in and open it. Most ot these guys are not professional so the sight of the bars should be sufficient to scare them off to another boat that is easier prey. I guess you could somehow put a lock on the barrel bolt unit to really secure it.

Gary has a better idea for securing the hatch via the Amel lock if you want to be ultra safe.

Also, as Gary says the 1/4 inch aluminum is a little too thin. I originally was going to glue a slim piece of teak (1/8 inch)thick around the frame to make the fit snugger, and to bring it up to "Amel quality" but being in the cruising mood I have never gotten around to it and it works OK as it is. I measured the opening by cutting a yardstick to fit the top and another to fit the bottom, then just measured from there.

For extra security I have installed a LED bulb in the overhead light under the hard dodger, and I burn this all night. I'm not a fan of mast head anchor lights so I use a LED light hanging in the rigging and also use the cockpit light. This way your boat looks like a boat and not just a star, plus most burglars dont want to be looking around in a lighted cockpit. I also have a motion detector with a loud siren for really bad places.

Regards,

John

MOON DOG SM#248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com