Climma A/C 220v/50Hz

karkauai

One more, thanks for indulging me.

When I purchased "Kristy" I was told that I could run the A/C units on 60Hz shore power. I have done so for the last year with no apparant problems. The raw water pump is pretty rusty from a broken hipressure hose from the watermaker, so I went by the Frostline refrigeration store in ST. Maarten and purchased a new one for a spare. The owner is very knowledgeable about Climma, he's THE Climma agent for the area. He says that the number one problem he takes care of is compressors that burn out due to running them on 60 cycle power. He also says that Climma doesn't warranty it's A/C's if they are used with 60Hz power supply.

Since most of the places I've sailed so far use 60 Hz power at the dock, I'd have to run the genset to use the A/C at the dock...That's something I really don't want to do if I don't have to. He says there is a unit (can't remember the name) that will convert 60Hz to 50 Hz, but it's large and costs $12000, apparantly made for the megayachts.

What is your understanding of this issue with the Climma A/C units?

Thanks again,
Kent
"Kristy" SM 243

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Kent:

It was nice to meet you in Portsmouth, Dominica. What did you think of that
ash from Montserrat? We are still cleaning up. I have been running my Climma
ACs on 60 Hertz power for nine years. Granted I am only on the boat for about
4 months out of the year and only run the AC part of that time but so far so good.
I do have one compressor that is sounding a bit odd and it may be going the way
of the world. A motor that is designed to run on 50 Hertz will be running at a
faster speed on 60 Hertz power. Many motors are rated to run on either and it is
a shame that Climma doesn't see fit to use compressor motors that are certified
for either.

There is no device that will convert 50 Hertz power to 60 Hertz power. The only
way I know of doing this is to have an inverter, powered from a DC source (ie your
battery bank) that will produce 60 Hertz power. There are inverters that will
produce 50 or 60 Hertz power but they all start with DC and convert it to AC.
Most of these are configured as charger/inverters so that you don't deplete
your battery bank.

We did have the AC start capacitors fail within about a week of each other, while
running on the genset (220 VAC 50 Hertz) on all three of our Climma ACs a
number of years ago. They were plastic encased capacitors and melted and
smoked. Since replacing them with higher rated capacitors (400 VAC as I
recall) we have had no further problem.

If you really want a power system that can handle virtually any power in the world
you can get a duel frequency, dual voltage charger inverter.

Gary
s/v Liahona
Lying Martinique

and

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Robertson" <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Kent:

Here is a unit that can take input voltage from two sources; shore and generator, with
voltage and frequencies that cover those we commonly see (i.e. 50 or 60 Hertz), and
is a 24 volt charger as well as putting out 50 Hertz 230 volt power.

http://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet%20-%20Quattro%203kVA%20and%205kVA%20-%20rev%2007%20-%20EN.pdf

I don't know the price but this would make your boat a true world power compatible
boat.

Gary
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 335