From: bobparry1947 <ra.parry2@...>
Subject: [Amel] Propellor
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, March 12, 2010, 5:36 AM

We are wanting to replace the fixed-blade prop on our SM with a feathering or folding prop. Does anybody have any comments for or against any particular brand?

Bob Parry

SM#33 Nowornot

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Kent:

Why were the turbo replaced? Bearing failure, blade failure, turbo housing failure?

Specifically what do you consider "adequate RPM"

Gary Silver
Amel SM #335

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

I've had a problem with not being able to get my SM #243 with Volvo "TMD22 (78HP) up to adequate rpm with the Autoprop supplied by Amel at initial purchase.  I've had the Volvo looked at by several different mechanics and finally last fall had the Autoprop looked at.  I was told that it was the one recommended by Autoprop for the SM with Yanmar (100HP).  Since then I've been told by Amel (Christian Dufour) that they put the same autoprop on SM's whether Volvo or Yanmar powered.  Not sure what to believe right now.  Amel does seem to pitch the props to give the most efficient performance, but I wonder if it's at the price of not being able to get the rpms up enough to prevent carbon buildup (SM243's had two turbos replaced in her 3000 hrs of ooperation).

I had the fixed prop that was kept on the boat as a spare repitched as much as could be done and am able to get the rpms up to 2850 under load which is acceptable.

Having said all that, I do want to replace the autoprop with a new folding prop as I believe there is a 1/2 knot difference when sailing in 15 kts of wind.  (It's hard to judge with different seastates, etc. but I'm convinced I can see a difference.)  My only caveat is that I'm not sure what I'm going to put on the boat after experiencing the problems above.

Good luck and let us know what you decide...and how it works.
Kent
KRISTY SM243

We are wanting to replace the fixed-blade prop on our SM with a feathering or folding prop. Does anybody have any comments for or against any particular brand?

Bob Parry

SM#33 Nowornot

karkauai

Hi, Gary,
The turbo housing had collected a lot of carbon, and I guess moisture in the carbon deteriorated the inside of the turbo.  It had pitted the area where the waste gate closes against the housing to the point that no seal was possible in the closed position.  I don't know what happened when the turbo was replaced by the first owner.

Initially I was of the impression that I should run the Volvo under load at ~3500 rpm for 15 min or so twice a day when motoring a lot.  Since then I have been told by Amel that 3000 would be maximum expected with the Volvo, and Laurent Colonna at Amel Caraibes said that 2850 would be adequate to minimize carbon buildup.

Does anyone have a SM with the Volvo TMD and an Autoprop?  If so, can you tell me what kind of rpm you are able to get when the prop's clean?  Can you tell me the serial number on the prop so that I can have Autoprop compare it to the one on my boat?  Thanks.

Kent
KRISTY
SM 243

jlm@jlmertz.fr

I have exactly the same configuration as you (SM316)
With a new turbo, boat cleaned, injectors cleaned etc etc ...
On the best sea that you can imagine I can retch 2850 rpm and a spead
of 8.25 knds
AND THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !! the power of the TMD22 is at this point
around then 40 HP !!
!!
Conclusion : the seize of the autoprop is too big !

What you can do :

1. put a smaller prop (or re-pitch the autoprop)

2. Increase the power (one YOUR risk) of the engine by changing the
injection .... see my post (Bosch pump) it 10 minutes work !!

3. buy a AMEL 54 :-)

jlm
CottonBay sm316

wrote:

[...]

Merci, Jean-Luc,
I already had the injectors and pump removed and sent to Volvo service center for inspection, cleaning, and adjustment.  No change in performance was noted.  After repitching the fixed prop I was able to get 2850rpms, but only 7.5 kts.  After only a month I am now only able to get 2650 rpm with the same prop.  KRISTY is on the hard in St. Maarten getting a new bottom paint job.  I'll be interested to see if I can again get 2850 with the bottom and the prop cleaned.  If it still max's at 2650 I have to assume that I still have a problem with the Volvo.  I plan to find a Volvo service center on the Chesapeake and have them evaluate the engine one more time anyway.  If I'm back to 2850, I'll have the autoprop repitched to allow 3000 rpm.

I'm not really clear on your post about "Increase the power (one YOUR risk) of the engine by changing the injection".  I looked at the link  but my French is so bad that it wasn't much help.  Have you altered the injection pump to feed more fuel to the engine to gain more power?  At what "risk"?

Merci, again,
Kent
KRISTY
SM243

I have exactly the same configuration as you (SM316)
With a new turbo, boat cleaned, injectors cleaned etc etc ...
On the best sea that you can imagine I can retch 2850 rpm and a spead
of 8.25 knds
AND THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !! the power of the TMD22 is at this point
around then 40 HP !!
!!
Conclusion : the seize of the autoprop is too big !

What you can do :

1. put a smaller prop (or re-pitch the autoprop)

2. Increase the power (one YOUR risk) of the engine by changing the
injection .... see my post (Bosch pump) it 10 minutes work !!

3. buy a AMEL 54 :-)

jlm
CottonBay sm316

jlm@jlmertz.fr

The principle of the injection pump :
http://www.landroverfaq.com/download/file.php?id=293&sid=91cbea82e8cefc8\;
b18eb0f36efecdc39&mode=view
The Bosch book in English : http://www.htsuk.plus.com/BOSCH_VE_PUMPS.pdf

1 - If you have air (turbo ok) and gas oil (injection pump ok) you must
have power
2 - My opinion and only mein is that the engine (tmd22) is not in
accordance with my propeller.

To solve MY problem without to pay to much I increase only a very little
bit the power (if you put too much power the cooling system is not
sufficient we have a tmd and not a TAMD),
If you have a engineer culture you can do that by your self if not find
a VERY good mechanical (like one for truck, not necessarily a VOLVO
guy).

Read attached files it will help you to understand your engine,
Hoping that can help you,
are you in the Med area ?
jluc

CB SM316

wrote:

[...]

Thank you again Jean-Luc.  Very interesting reading.  I'll let you know what I decide on after I have a Volvo service mechanic look at the engine one more time.
I am currently in St. Maarten in the lesser Antilles and will be going north thru the Virgins and Bahamas to the Chesapeake by June 1.  Probably won't get to the Med until after I go thru the Panama Canal and do the Pacific for a few years.
Again, thank you for your interest and help.
Kent
KRISTY
SM 243

____________ _________ _________ _________ _____
--- In amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com, Kent Robertson <karkauai@.. .>
wrote:

[...]

Fine, tell me more after this job,
Try to ask him his opinon to increese the power by 1/4 of turn of gas
oil rate,
if possible try that with this guy,
bonne chance
/"tout est possible dans un monde infini"/
jluc

I have exactly the same configuration as you (SM316)
With a new turbo, boat cleaned, injectors cleaned etc etc ...
On the best sea that you can imagine I can retch 2850 rpm and a spead
of 8.25 knds
AND THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !! the power of the TMD22 is at this point
around then 40 HP !!
!!
Conclusion : the seize of the autoprop is too big !

What you can do :

1. put a smaller prop (or re-pitch the autoprop)

2. Increase the power (one YOUR risk) of the engine by changing the
injection .... see my post (Bosch pump) it 10 minutes work !!

3. buy a AMEL 54 :-)

jlm
CottonBay sm316

karkauai

I will give you a report when it's done...probably in June.
Kent

--- On Sun, 3/14/10, Jean-Luc <jlm@jlmertz. fr

I have exactly the same configuration as you (SM316)
With a new turbo, boat cleaned, injectors cleaned etc etc ...
On the best sea that you can imagine I can retch 2850 rpm and a spead
of 8.25 knds
AND THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !! the power of the TMD22 is at this point
around then 40 HP !!
!!
Conclusion : the seize of the autoprop is too big !

What you can do :

1. put a smaller prop (or re-pitch the autoprop)

2. Increase the power (one YOUR risk) of the engine by changing the
injection .... see my post (Bosch pump) it 10 minutes work !!

3. buy a AMEL 54 :-)

jlm
CottonBay sm316

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent, after discussion with a Volvo tech at St Maarten I corrected the code setting on the tacometer to match the motor and immediately achieved a 300 rpm improvement from 2500 to 2800. There is a recessed button on the back and you scroll through to the correct number for your motor model. Mine was miss set.
Danny and Yvonne SM 299 Ocean Pearl

I will give you a report when it's done...probably in June.
Kent

I have exactly the same configuration as you (SM316)
With a new turbo, boat cleaned, injectors cleaned etc etc ...
On the best sea that you can imagine I can retch 2850 rpm and a spead
of 8.25 knds
AND THAT IS NOT ENOUGH !! the power of the TMD22 is at this point
around then 40 HP !!
!!
Conclusion : the seize of the autoprop is too big !

What you can do :

1. put a smaller prop (or re-pitch the autoprop)

2. Increase the power (one YOUR risk) of the engine by changing the
injection .... see my post (Bosch pump) it 10 minutes work !!

3. buy a AMEL 54 :-)

jlm
CottonBay sm316

karkauai

Thanks, Danny, already been there and done that.  Wish it'd been that simple for me.
Kent

[...]

richard03801@...

Hi Kent, I was wondering what kind of fuel consumption are you seeing. And do you often run you TMD at full power and for how long.
Most of us are concerned with our clean burn rate. At sea we often motor sail at around 1500 just to conserve fuel for the long haul.
When you press it at 2800 or so do you see any over heating or black smoke or increase crank case oil consumption?

Be interesting to chat about someday.
Fair winds
Richard SM209
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

Hi Richard, on a previous boat, a 42 foot racer/cruiser I had a volvo 2030 30 hp. At 2000 rpm and 5 knots boat speed the consumption was 1.2 (one point two) litres per hour. At 2500 rpm and 6 knots speed the consumption jumped to 2.2 litres per hour.
regards
Danny SM299 Ocean Pearl

From: Jean-Luc <jlm@jlmertz. fr <mailto:jlm% 40jlmertz. fr>>
To: amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com
<mailto:amelyachtow ners%40yahoogrou ps.com>
Date: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 12:33 PM

wrote:

[...]

Hi, Richard,
I've only done a systematic evaluation of fuel consumption on the trip from Norfolk to Grenada this Fall.  I had the newly repitched fixed prop on the boat.  In different sea conditions I noted 3.5-4.0 liter/hr consumption at 1600, 1800, and 2000 rpm, some of which was motoring and some motorsailing, some heading into the sea and some with light wind astern.  At 2200 rpm the consumption jumped to 5.5-6.0 liters per hour.  I haven't run it faster than that long enough to have a feel for consumption at higher rpm.

I do run the engine at maximum rpm (2850 with that prop and a clean hull) for about 15 min every 6 hours.  After burning 3/4 tank of fuel on the way down there was some soot on the port topside aft of the exhaust, but nothing that wouldn't be expected according to a mechanic who was looking at my genset.  When running hard there is no increase in smoke coming from the exhaust that I can see.  Running the Volvo as described, there is virtually no oil consumption.  I haven't had to add oil except when changing oil and filters since I've owned her.

Whaddya think?
Kent
KRISTY
SM243