Main Mast Problems at AMEL 54

sv_seda <markus.merz@...>

Following a letter from AMEL in August 2009 an AMEL 54 lost his Mainmast sailing in the area of the Canarian Islands. Now they want to install a 7 mm fortification at the lower part of the mast. Does anybody has seen this new part already? To be honest: I am quite surprised about this constructional fault after having so much experience with the ketch rigg. But maybe the new spreaders and the inner forestay have caused new relations of forces.

luvkante

Hi Marcus,

is it possible to learn a bit more about the case? Have you received such a letter from Chantiers Amel? What did exactly happen?

Martin

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Markus, do you have more information ? what exactly happened ? Did they do a big navigation error ? Is this problem on all Amel54 ? Do you have the name of that boat, I hav'nt fount any think on the web.

Merci

JLuc
Cottonbay

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "sv_seda" <markus.merz@...> wrote:

Following a letter from AMEL in August 2009 an AMEL 54 lost his Mainmast sailing in the area of the Canarian Islands. Now they want to install a 7 mm fortification at the lower part of the mast. Does anybody has seen this new part already? To be honest: I am quite surprised about this constructional fault after having so much experience with the ketch rigg. But maybe the new spreaders and the inner forestay have caused new relations of forces.

Ralph Heilig

Markus,

I'm getting my new 54 in may. I have not heard about this issue from AMEL yet. So I also would be very interested what happened and what solution is suggested.

Best Regards
Ralph

sv_seda <markus.merz@...>

Hi Martin,

I received an Email from Mr. Lemonnier in which he stated that there was a AMEL 54 which lost his Mainmast 22nd of August in 2009. What actually happend was not mentionend. But they found out that they would have to make the mast stiffer in its lower part. It is the only accident like this yet. Now they have developed with other professionals a new suspension around the lower part of the mast. They will sell the new boats with the same support, so the old boats will look like the new ones. But I did not see a photo yet.

I do not know more yet. But I will keep everyone posted.
All the best
Markus

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "luvkante" <luvkante@...> wrote:

Hi Marcus,

is it possible to learn a bit more about the case? Have you received such a letter from Chantiers Amel? What did exactly happen?

Martin

sv_seda <markus.merz@...>

I do not know the name of the boat. I just received an Email from Mr. Lemonnier in which he stated that there was a AMEL 54 which lost his Mainmast 22nd of August in 2009. What actually happend was not mentionend. But they found out that they would have to make the mast stiffer in its lower part. It is the only accident like this yet. Now they have developed with other professionals a new suspension around the lower part of the mast. They will sell the new boats with the same support, so the old boats will look like the new ones. So that means that every 54 has this problem. But I did not see a photo of the solution.