From: Barry
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 12:49 AM
Subject: [Amel] Chain Counter

Hi Guys, This may have been covered before somewhere here but can anyone provide me with some information on how to diagnose problems associated with my chain counter not working. I have two zeros on the gauge and I suspect the problem is at the magnetic switching device at the windlass.

There are three wires based upon the diagrm on the switch, Brown ( positive), Black which seems to connect via the switching mechanisim to positive as well and a blue wire to negative. I have tried to waver a magnet past the switch with no effect. The switch is manufactured by Etector IFM Electronics with possble identifcation numbers IB5076 IB-3020-BNKG. Any clues?

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 171

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Ok, I have to ask this ignorant question: Do you turn the chain counter OFF? If so, why?

BeBe's chain counter has been ON for the past 7 years and I am way too superstitious to say that it has not failed...nope I did not say that.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe. SM2k, #387
Currently Malaysia

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill:

Not an ignorant question at all, or at least I didn't think so when I asked the
Pochon rep. in Guadeloupe the exact same question. I was prepared to install
a switch to turn it off when not in use but it had worked just fine for 8 years
and the Pochon guy said that it should not be turned off. He felt the cycling
of power was harder on the units than just leaving them on.

Gary s/v Liahona Amel #335

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Ok, I have to ask this ignorant question: Do you turn the chain counter OFF? If so, why?

BeBe's chain counter has been ON for the past 7 years and I am way too superstitious to say that it has not failed...nope I did not say that.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe. SM2k, #387
Currently Malaysia

Barry Ferguson <seagasm@...>

No, the chain counter is connected to a main power supply via a switch which
turns on other electrics ie VHF radio, instruments etc.

I discovered the LED on the sensor is not working but there is power to the
sensor. I have placed an order for the same.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
SV Tradewinds III SM 171

--
Email: seagasm@...
Off Shore E-mail: vhn3361@... (text only)

johnabo2003 <no_reply@...>

I called IFM Elecronics in the US to order a new sensor and was told that they are discontinuing the part and do not have any in stock.

I did find the following chain counter for sale for about $200

http://www.cruzpro.com/products.html

Regards
John SM394

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Barry Ferguson <seagasm@...> wrote:

[...]

Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@...>

Hi all,
The chain counter sensor,IB 5076 inductive sensor is Euro 78,- E mail alex.corte@...
Hope it helps,
Iv Pepe
Fortuna  SM 223

________________________________

--- In amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@ ...> wrote:

Ok, I have to ask this ignorant question: Do you turn the chain counter OFF? If so, why?

BeBe's chain counter has been ON for the past 7 years and I am way too superstitious to say that it has not failed...nope I did not say that.

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe. SM2k, #387
Currently Malaysia

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Iv Pepe,

Yahoo automatically strips the email address removing everything after the "@". Can you tell me what follows: "alex.corte@"

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@...> wrote:

Hi all,
The chain counter sensor,IB 5076 inductive sensor is Euro 78,- E mail alex.corte@...
Hope it helps,
Iv Pepe
Fortuna  SM 223

Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@...>

Hi Bill,
Follows  ifm.com
Pepe Fortuna 223

________________________________
From: svbebe <yahoogroups@...>
Subject: Re: [Amel] Chain Counter
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, April 9, 2010, 8:39 PM

Iv Pepe,

Yahoo automatically strips the email address removing everything after the "@". Can you tell me what follows: "alex.corte@ "

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@ yahoogroups. com, Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@... > wrote:

Hi all,
The chain counter sensor,IB 5076 inductive sensor is Euro 78,- E mail alex.corte@. ..
Hope it helps,
Iv Pepe
Fortuna  SM 223

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Pepe,

That email no longer works. Which IFM location did you get this part? I checked the US location and was told, "The IB5076 is no longer available and no direct replacement."

Best,

Bill
s/v BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Malaysia

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Iv Pepe <iv_pepe@...> wrote:

HI Bill,
alex.cortes | ifm.com
Pepe Fortuna 223

________________________________
From: <yahoogroups@...> svbebe
To: amelyachtowners@...

Barry,

I Do Not see anything in the files section labeled "Chain Counter."

Could you Recheck and upload or email it to me at svbebe "at" gmail. com.

Best,

Bill
s / v BeBe, SM2k, # 387

I do not think Bill That is correct, I Received a reply from the
WHO manufacturer sent me a brochure of the part Which I Have uploaded in the
Files folder "Chain Counter." Place an order I Have and Have Had the order
Confirmed, Awaiting delivery.

Barry <seagasm@...>

Here is an update on the IB5076 sensor. Firstly, it IS available so the information previously advised on this site that it was not, is incorrect. Secondly, an alternative replacement is the IB5124. This is the same diameter but uses only two wires instead of three as with the IB5076. I used the IB5124 sensor only because I had to wait for a delivery from Germany for the IB5076 while the alternative was readily available. The price was similar.

Since the IB5076 has three wires and the IB5124 has two, the brown wire being the positive supply to the sensor was not used. Instead, I found the black wire also a positive (assuming from the gauge to the sensor) connected to the 1/3 terminal on the sensor, the blue negative connected to the 2/4 terminal on the sensor. This is a normally open circuit as with the IB5076 and provided the correct reading in both directions at the instrument gauge.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171