[Amel] Maramu Galley Sink Drain Question

karkauai

Hi, Howard,
That is how Amel does their grey water.  We have to be very careful on Kristy SM243 not to put any foodstuffs down the sink, but even so will get a funky smell from the bilge every few days even when we're not cooking...just from shower/sink drainage.  I put a little bleach and a little soap in each of the sinks and run it into the bilge, let it sit a while, then pump it out using the whale pump that takes almost all of the water out (rather than the electric pump that leaves a good bit in the bilge).  If I do that about twice a week I don't get any smell from the bilge, and I use the whale pump on a regular basis to keep it from drying out and make sure it works.

I'd be interested if anyone else has another solution to the grey water smells.  I have thoroughly cleaned the bilge last Fall, but it didn't really change the odor issue.

Kent
SM243
KRISTY

Malcolm Phillips <MPhillips@...>

Hi Kent/ Howard,

Having tried most things you mentioned my solution has been to
regularly remove the pipe and strum box ( still attached by
the suction pipe to the whale ) and then to hi pressure jet
wash the sump, keeping your face well clear and extending the
jet face to the very bottom of the sump and thoroughly
cleaning the base around the earth straps. This, together with
pumping with the whale every few days on board, keeps the
smell at bay.

Malcolm SM464

Bon Jovi

[...]

richard03801@...

We use Simply Green we do NOT use bleach because it will attach the rubber and SS. We also flush the bilge when we can.
Richard SM209
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

[...]

Howard Berger

I received a reply from a friend, Dave Wallace, who also owns a Maramu and he told me on his boat, the galley sinks drain out a through-hull in the lazarette. Seems like they changed that setup in the SM.

I agree with the comment of not using bleach. Over time, it can wreck the pick up hoses as happened to another friend's boat.

Interesting comment about hair....

Thanks for all the responses. Any Maramu owners out there want to add in?

Regards,
Howard